Algae eater?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tabbykat9698

AC Members
Aug 4, 2010
Downtown Nashville, TN
I have a 56 gal with 6 yellow labs and 6 demasonis. Lately there has been a lot of brown algae on the glass and rocks. I scrape it off the glass with an algae scraper, but I cant get it off the rocks, we have a TON of Texas Holey Rock in the tank (which means the fish don't really bug each other because of all the hiding spots).

Anyway I was wondering if there was an algae eater who would eat brown algae and not get killed by my Cichlids or outgrow the tank.

chris521957

AC Members
Nov 6, 2010
Preston, Lancs
Real Name
Chris
You could try a few b/n's. I had them in all my Mbuna tanks and they do a great job of keeping the algae down. You could also try leaving the lights of longer, the main cause of algae is too much light and too many nutrients in the tank, ie, uneaten food.

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
How long has your tank been set up? What do you have for lights(wattage/sprectrum). From your description it sounds like you might have diatoms(new tank syndrome).
From what I've researched here and elsewhere, BN's can be hit or miss depending on the individual personalities of your fish. Some people have success with them, others with the same species don't have success.

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
I had the same problem in my 60g and for months I battled with it. It was on the glass, the rocks...the plants...not pretty stuff! :rant2: I have oto's and 2 plecos and they didn't touch it, then one weekend I had to go away and so, for 3 almost 4 days there was no food or lights in the tank. I felt really bad doing it but I read it on here somewhere that it was the only way, so I did it and it worked! :D I've also cut down on my feeding dramatically and I no longer have any brown algae. Maybe you should give it a try. All my fish were alive and well and VERY hungry and very happy to see me. :D

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
oto's come to mind, but they will probobly get destroyed by your fish. You could try an adult bristlenose pleco, the brown ones are bigger than albinos. (max out at 4")

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
everybody, please stop suggesting the addition of critters for a problem that can be solved by the keeper.

diatoms will go away eventually, and yes, they are not pretty to look at. but diatoms are a natural part of the process to getting a mature and healthy tank. a tank that has been set up for 'several months' is still new in my books so diatoms are pretty much a given.

i've had diatoms in one of my 55's (unplanted) for months (since switching to play sand) and they really don't bother me at all. i wipe the glass down during water changes, and run a stiff bristle brush over the plastic 'wood' pieces in there when they are looking especially brown.

do you have sand as the substrate? i have read that diatoms feed off of silicates, and quite often there is a high number of silicates in sand. Gunner on here said that he boiled his sand and had no diatom issues.

just keep wiping/scrubbing it off, diatoms will go away eventually.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Do not add Oto's they will be eaten cut back on your lighting schedule and slim the feedings down, if you must add anything in the fish dept add a large Bristelnose pleco they love the stuff..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store