how important is an airstone at night?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
A little...although i generally point it down.

In my opinions:
What you dont want your tank to look like: A glass of water that is sitting in a room with no breeze and no one walking.
What you dont want your tank to look like: The ocean, a lake on a breezy day

What you want your tank to look like: You want to see the water just move a little and form just the smallest ripple on the surface.

I try to have mine look about like this:

A bit too much:

Examples from aquaticplantcentral.com (link here).

nikond70s

AC Members
Jun 21, 2009
I was wondering how many of you guys with pressurized co2 have an airstone running at night? Is this really important if you have a little bit of surface agitation? or is it only important when you have no surface agitation?
you can always shut off your co2 at night. turn it back on when the lights are on.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Ideally you turn your solenoid off half an hour to an hour before the lights go off, and on half an hour after the lights come on.
If your pressurized CO2 or DIY yeast bottle CO2 is running at night you are likely to need Oxygen in your tank at night. Surface agitation is one way to get it. An air stone is another. The person who said never run an air stone at night should clarify their explanation. They obviously are not running pressurized CO2 at levels that matter.

For a lot more information regarding CO2 in planted tanks, check out "The Planted Tank" forum.

www.plantedtank.net/forums

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
Ideally you turn your solenoid off half an hour to an hour before the lights go off, and on half an hour after the lights come on.
If your pressurized CO2 or DIY yeast bottle CO2 is running at night you are likely to need Oxygen in your tank at night. Surface agitation is one way to get it. An air stone is another. The person who said never run an air stone at night should clarify their explanation. They obviously are not running pressurized CO2 at levels that matter.

For a lot more information regarding CO2 in planted tanks, check out "The Planted Tank" forum.

Why do I need to clarify. I am running pressurized with a solenoid. I unplug the solenoid 1 hr before lights off. In the morning I plug it back up after 1 hr of lights on.
I have never had to run an airstone. My DC reads solid green with 4dKh solution being used.

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris

I run my co2 in exact timing with my lights. My drop checker is usually in the yellowish green area (just a little past green). So with that said. yes, i never run an air stone at night.

If you don't have a solenoid at all, then that is a whole different ball game and you should monitor to see if you need an air stone.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Why do I need to clarify. solution being used.
You don't need to clarify, but since you did, you're doing everything by the book.
I offer the suggestion that you consider using two timers to make your life simpler. You won't have to remember to turn things on and off. Timers are usually cheap after the 25th. One to control the lights and one for the solenoid. ;-)
But then I'm forgetful and a dad (related?) so I don't always remember or have time to turn ... What were we talking about?

CoachZ posted the statement "never run an air stone at night"
with no explanation or clarification.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store