African Cichlids - Starting a tank - Stock questions.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mudskipperluv

AC Members
Dec 7, 2010
So, I have a 125g (72 x 18 x 20) That I've had set up for about 3 weeks now and I am starting to think about what to stock it with.
I am really Digging the Rusties and the Maylandia Livingstonii. So, First of all can I mix these two? Also was thinking of Acei (if they can get along with the M. Livingstonii). I saw one that was really dark (pretty much black) at my LFS that I really liked and would like to get if possible. Another species I am considering is Yellow Labidochromis. Finally I, and I know I'm going to get yelled at for this (Bring it on!), I want to put a single male jewel cichlid in there. I just wanted to know if you think it would still sport breeding colors.

But I really want to keep the Maylandia Livingstonii and the rusties, if you see any conflict in species with those 2 lemme know.(I'm sure there is)
I have no experience with the M. Livingstonii So I dunno if they can hold their own or not But I've read they are feisty!

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Keep in mind how large the Livingstonii get when you're stocking with other fish so you don't end up overstocked when they grow out... Acei should do well, and the labs may, although since they stay pretty small with a mild african cichlid temperament IME, I might go with another more aggressive cichlid, such as some sort of zebra. I too like jewel cichlids, but I would stay away from that, because they have a tendency to stress and hide with a bunch of aggressive mbuna. A friend and I both tried that as newbies and didn't have much luck. The jewels were rehomed so they didn't die from the bullying. I just don't think they have what it takes to handle the aggression of the others... Kenyi are nice looking too in both males and females and would be a good fit.

Mudskipperluv

AC Members
Dec 7, 2010
Keep in mind how large the Livingstonii get when you're stocking with other fish so you don't end up overstocked when they grow out... Acei should do well, and the labs may, although since they stay pretty small with a mild african cichlid temperament IME, I might go with another more aggressive cichlid, such as some sort of zebra. I too like jewel cichlids, but I would stay away from that, because they have a tendency to stress and hide with a bunch of aggressive mbuna. A friend and I both tried that as newbies and didn't have much luck. The jewels were rehomed so they didn't die from the bullying. I just don't think they have what it takes to handle the aggression of the others... Kenyi are nice looking too in both males and females and would be a good fit.
M. Livingstonii get about 6 inches. No bigger than aceis right? So it SHOULD be okay don't you think?

Also what type of Jewel did you have? The one I am considering, that I've read about, says that it is considered one of the most aggressive cichlids you could buy.

And about the overstocking... Isn't over stocking with a African cichlid tank a good thing? I am unsure of how many of what species to put in though or how many different species I should have. So if you could help with that or send a link that could explain a little more on the subject I would greatly appreciate it!

I personally am scared of zebras! they are evil! If i go with a red zebra, any tips on how to find a... "Less" dominate one?

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I think shaynablizard is confused with 2 species. Nimbochromis livingstonii is the big fish; but Maylandia or Metriaclima livingstonii is a mbuna a little bit smaller than Ps. acei.
I like the combination of the 4 species you mentioned: Rusties, Yellow labs, Ps. acei and M. livingstonii. I would leave out the red zebras and the red jewel. In a tank that size, IMO you can add another group of a fifth mbuna species; something with deeper body like Labeotropheus fuelleborni.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Wow learn something new everyday! I had heard of a malawi shell dweller but I didn't realize they were actually available in the hobby! How cool!

I would totally get the M. livingstonii if you can. Labs would also make a great addition. Ps acei would also love such a large swimming space and hey tend to get along with anything. Rusties should also be fine. Hmm if it were me I would add a blue species. SOmething like mainganos or some sort of cynotilapia afra. They stay small but have a pretty big attitude. Im my experience they tend to just mess with each other.

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
I think shaynablizard is confused with 2 species. Nimbochromis livingstonii is the big fish; but Maylandia or Metriaclima livingstonii is a mbuna a little bit smaller than Ps. acei.
Yep, I was totally confused on the livingstonii - I didn't realize there was another species.
Overstocking is a good thing with cichlids for sure; I was thinking if you were going to have very large cichlids in there you just wanted to take that adult size into account when you're adding a bunch of other fish. It's still possible to add too many fish for your filtration and space to handle. I don't believe this is an issue now, since I understand you were talking about a different Livingstoni.
I have various zebras in my 125g tank (OB, red, white, blue), and I find them to be very hardy nice fish. Sure they are aggressive, but with that much space and with a lot of rocks and heavy stocking, I don't have any issues with injuries. I would not put them with smaller cichlids though. They need to go with other tough cichlids. Since I have no experience with the type of Livingstonii you're referring to, I'm not going to recommend tankmates anymore. I'll leave that to others on here who have experience with that kind of fish and it's temperament.
Good luck with your new setup and don't forget to post pics when it's completed!

Mudskipperluv

AC Members
Dec 7, 2010
Yep, I was totally confused on the livingstonii - I didn't realize there was another species.
Overstocking is a good thing with cichlids for sure; I was thinking if you were going to have very large cichlids in there you just wanted to take that adult size into account when you're adding a bunch of other fish. It's still possible to add too many fish for your filtration and space to handle. I don't believe this is an issue now, since I understand you were talking about a different Livingstoni.
I have various zebras in my 125g tank (OB, red, white, blue), and I find them to be very hardy nice fish. Sure they are aggressive, but with that much space and with a lot of rocks and heavy stocking, I don't have any issues with injuries. I would not put them with smaller cichlids though. They need to go with other tough cichlids. Since I have no experience with the type of Livingstonii you're referring to, I'm not going to recommend tankmates anymore. I'll leave that to others on here who have experience with that kind of fish and it's temperament.
Good luck with your new setup and don't forget to post pics when it's completed!
Thanks for the tips guys! you all have been very helpful.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
On the jewel cichlid, I keep a male jewel in my mainly mbuna tank and he does just fine - displays a really nice colouration. Couple of qualifiers :-

- I don't have really hard alkaline water. Its a touch on the soft side and about 7.4 out of the tap.
- Best plan is get the jewel in the tank early as a juvenile, and get all fish as juveniles. That gives him the best chance of making it with them long term - basically he gets used to the elevated aggression and overstock, you hope. Its a bit counter intuitive but you don't have as much chance if you add an adult jewel when the tank is stocked - he'll just be a big softy. If he's in with them as a juvie, and when they are juvies, he will adapt according.

And if he ever goes in tank not bung full of mbuna he will rule ! If by rule you mean massacre.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store