911 All My Fish Are Dying!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

toddhgr

AC Members
Mar 13, 2010
western mass
I transfered all my Tang. Cichlids to the 265 last night. This morning i found one dead lelupi and i thought it to be stress. I just stopped in to check on the rest and found all my lelupi, brichardi, multis, and julidichromis dead!!! All tests seem good Ammonia 0 Ph 8.4 Nitrates 0. I have no idea what is going wrong!!!! I just lost a few hundred $ in fish and I can't lose the frontosa. Any ideas will help!
For now I'm going to do a huge water change as I know not what else to do. Anyone who might have any clue what may be the problem please call my cell as I have no choice but to go back to work, but I will be on the road so I will be able to stop and grab any neccisary meds. 413 522 9493

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I wish I could help, but I don't know what this could be, other than if there were significant differences between the old tank and the new in water temperature, and/or Total Dissolved Solids, and/or nitrate since you state the nitrate in the new tank is 0, possibly they were in water with, and had been accustomed to, much greater levels of nitrate and other compounds that are in an old tank.

Like having fish in a old tank that has "old tank syndrome" and then doing huge water changes that subject them to too drastic a change.

How did the new tank water compare, regarding the parameters? I don't know what the remedy is for this situation if that is what is going on.

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
I don't think you need meds. I once lost my male leleupi and two tret cichlids from changing their tank, and the others were starting to act funny. I hadn't moved them to a new tank, but I had the bright idea to go from gravel to sand and change out all the decor. I took out everything - added sand, new piece of wood as a centerpiece and a bunch of new lace rock. My water was fine, and everything I added was fish-safe and clean. I immediately removed my fish and put them in another tang tank I had running to save the rest of them. I think your issue is changing too much at once. Tangs are very sensitive to water chemistry changes - although your water may be "fine" it was just too rapid of a change for them to be able to handle. I ended up putting other "test fish" in the tank for a little while, and eventually readded my tangs back to the tank SLOWLY adapting them, and have never had any issues. In the future, I will take an hour or more adapting them to a new tank by slowly adding the new water. I had saved half of their existing water and added that back, along with 50% new water from my tap (well water) that I always use for water changes. Since it was the same temp, I just dropped them in too quickly not accounting for the chemistry changes the new decor would add. Hope this helps you. Sorry for the losses. :(

Ara

Catquarium
Feb 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I am wondering if there was not some sort of chemical in the tank. Was it ever cleaned with a cleaner or bleach? It's possible the tank got poisones in ways not detectable with the Ni, NA and Am..

So sorry for your loss! :(

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Would also think tank...new or used?

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Sorry to hear that. It's impossible to say what happened without more information, but I agree that since they all died fairly quickly it may be a residual chemical in the new tank, like bleach or some cleaning product. Is the tank new or used? Did you test for chlorine, or use a dechlorinator? Is it cycled, how long, any other tankmates or survivors?

toddhgr

AC Members
Mar 13, 2010
western mass
The final count is a 100% loss. While I was at work I had my best friend catch all living fish from the 265 and transfer them to a 55 with new water and filters. Unfortunatly I think the stress of being caught and the new water finished them off. I've got a lot of thinking ahead of me as to where to go from here. As of right now I'm going to start the complete teardown and cleaning of the 265 tommorrow morning in hopes that I can have it up and running without the background this weekend. If I can do this I will be going to my LFS to pick up a couple "assorted africans" and see if they make it.
The fish were in the tank for less than 24hrs before all of them were dead. The tank was used from a friend so I know it wasn't the tank as he was just using it prior to me getting it. I'm leaning towards the background being the issue. I don't know what it could have possibly leached, but it is the only possible explanation I can come up with.
Thank you all for your suggestions and help.

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
That totally stinks. Sorry for you loss :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store