All Male Peacock/Hap Setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dego510

AC Members
Oct 22, 2009
Chicago, IL
I got some of the Peacock/Haps that I was hoping to get at the swap this weekend. They include:
Cobue
Ngara Flametail
Ruby Red
Benga
Otopharynx Lithobates Z Rock

They are all around 3.5" and are in my 55 gallon with six 3" Labs. I'm running an AC110 and Rena XP3 filter, however, do notice that I have a few dead spots where the poop accumulates. Can I put a low output powerhead to hit those spots or do Peacocks not like currents? Koralia Nano?

Secondly, I know they're still acclimating to their new home, but is it normal for them to mostly swim in the back of my tank near the glass? They're also kind of staying huddled together. When they do swim from one end to the other, they do it together, except for the Z-Rock. He seems the least shy.

So far, they are all showing color, but would like to see them swim in open water more.

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
I would give them time to get used to their new home. Mine took a couple of weeks to be comfortable enough to stay out swimming and not hide. Now when they see me coming they come right to the top.
As far as the poop goes, personally I like when it settles in one area. It makes it easier to clean when vacuuming. I've found that trying to direct all of it to the filters is futile. It seems like when the sub gets stirred by the feeding frenzies, more waste gets picked up like that. But it can't hurt to try a small powerhead of you like. It's whatever works for each of us individually.

Dego510

AC Members
Oct 22, 2009
Chicago, IL
Here's a pic of my rockwork. I'll live with the dead spot . . . easier to clean as DrgRcr said.

I'm not sure I like the placement of the 3 main rocks. I might move the 2 rocks on the right further to the right and closer together leaving the middle open. Then I'll put a couple small pieces of THR (tennis ball sized) in the middle.

Thoughts?

Sorry about the crappy pic.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Here's a pic of my rockwork. I'll live with the dead spot . . . easier to clean as DrgRcr said.

I'm not sure I like the placement of the 3 main rocks. I might move the 2 rocks on the right further to the right and closer together leaving the middle open. Then I'll put a couple small pieces of THR (tennis ball sized) in the middle.
Good decision about the filtration, IMO...the 2 filters already in there are enough for that tank, I think.
I like your idea about changing the rockwork as you say.
Nice fishes you have in that tank! :thumbsup:

Dego510

AC Members
Oct 22, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm hoping to add a Placidochromis electra & Copadichromis trewavasae (Mloto Likoma) in the near future, if I can find them. That being said, I have 3 Syno Petricola in a spare tank that I'm debating on whether or not I want to add them to this tank. Should I add them or will I be overstocked?

With the 2 haps mentioned above, I'll have 7 peacocks/haps (mostly smaller species), 6 Yellow Labs (want to narrow down to 4), and 1 BN pleco.

Dego510

AC Members
Oct 22, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ok, I finally got most of my stock. Just looking to maybe add one more fish. So far, I have one of each: Cobue, Ngara Flametail, Ruby Red, Benga, Otopharynx Lithobates Z Rock, and Placidochromis electra. I also have 3 Syno petricola and 1 BN Pleco. (The yellow labs are out)

Below is a pic of my current rockwork. I know that peacocks like more open swimming space. Can I remove the top rocks on the corner piles? I feel like this would allow for me to see them more when they swim from one side to the other.

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
I like the way it looks Dego, but ultimately it's what you like! Just be sure to give any harrassed fish a few places to take cover. I also like your stocking. I have all of the same except for the Cobue(just got my Electra this week), and I think you can add one more. I have 9 in a 72 bow right now and have 3 others in a separate tank for now. I may have to get rid of my Flametail though. He is way too shy when I put him in with the others, as well as a picky eater. It will pain me to get rid of him, he was my first one and is beautiful.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I like the rockwork too.

Dego510

AC Members
Oct 22, 2009
Chicago, IL
I may have to get rid of my Flametail though. He is way too shy when I put him in with the others, as well as a picky eater. It will pain me to get rid of him, he was my first one and is beautiful.
Coincidentally, my Flametail is shy also. He's the only one not showing much color.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store