Plant 125 Gal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

achubbard

AC Members
Mar 13, 2009
West Greenwich RI
www.rimobiledj.com
Real Name
Alex
Hey All,

So I just picked up a used 125 gallon tank (Pics to come) in really good shape. I'm interested in planting this one. I've tried plants before in my 55, but never really had good luck with them. That being said, I'm slightly older and wiser now lol. I would like to try them again.

Substrate - I have been reading and researching quite a bit about the topic. From what I can gather, there are 2 substrates that I should use, the bottom layer being some kind of nutrient product (Have seen some from SeaChem) and the top layer being the "Decorative" layer. Currently in my 55, I have sand and plan to keep that as I have several bottom critters who would appreciate it ;) My question here is: Do I need to have 2 layers of substrate? Also just came across the topic of heating the substrate instead of the water. Needed? Not Needed?

Filtering - I currently have a cascade 500 on my 55 along with a power head and am rather happy with it, both together, do a nice job of keeping the water clear. I know "undergravel" filters are pretty much a no-no when keeping plants as they will get clogged it roots. I've also been researching the topic of sumps, but haven't been able to find a good definition of what they're exact purpose is. Do they take the place of filter?

Lighting/CO2 - Currently on my 55, I have 2 T12 balasts (I think, I will have to double check). Each fixture has 2 6700k bulbs in it. I do not remember the wattage, I believe each fixture is something along the lines of 80 watts a piece (again I'll have to double check). I know the rough estimate is somewhere around 2-3 watts per gallon. What are you guys using to light your 125s? CO2, I plan to go pressurized, I believe some of my issues with plants in the past was my naive-ness to CO2.

Plants - I'm looking for something that is requires low-moderate maintenance. I would like to plan out this tank before actually assembling it.

Anyways, I'm in the process of putting together a stand to hold this beast. It's the largest tank I've ever owned. I didn't realize how big it was until I got it home into my garage. Did not look nearly as big when I went to look at it. My guess is that it'll weigh around 1200-1400lbs full based upon what it's previous owner told me. I will get some pics of the tank itself later on today. :) Any thoughts/ideas/comments would be sweet.

Thanks!
-Alex

Last edited:

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
A sump does take the place of a filter. It's nice especially for salt water tanks because you can keep all of the equipment inside of the sump instead of the tank.

I would suggest you figure out what plants you want to keep first then go from there. Figure out what type of lighting you want to do. Low, medium, high? Then look into what type of regulator you're going to get for co2. Next step is what type of diffusion (how you mix the co2 with the water) you are going to use.

Again figure out what type of set up you want first then we can work from there.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
Substrate - The bottom layer being some kind of nutrient product (Have seen some from SeaChem) and the top layer being the "Decorative" layer. Do I need to have 2 layers of substrate?

Filtering - I currently have a cascade 500 on my 55 along with a power head and am rather happy with it.

Lighting/CO2 - I plan to go pressurized, I believe some of my issues with plants in the past was my naive-ness to CO2.

Plants - I'm looking for something that is requires low-moderate maintenance. I would like to plan out this tank before actually assembling it.
-Alex

Substate. This is what I did-(what you're talking about doing) My reason behind it was to protect my bottom dwellers. EcoComplete has some pretty sharp edges and can hurt the underside of bottomDwellers and damage their "whiskers"

Filter. Then Stick with Cascade (is what I use) Get yourself 2 1200's, I think those are the highest. Sorry no experiance with a sump here.

Lighting/Co2 - Plants This answers your question. Lighting demands are minimal since you want low-moderate. I would stay away from Co2 until you reach the next level. Make these low-moderate plants thrive, learn from your mistakes with them. Then maybe jump into harder plants that require more light, ferts, Co2. Work UP THE ladder.

rithunder916

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
West Greenwich RI
Real Name
Michael
Looks good, but odd it doesn't have a center brace.

Might want to check into that.

For filtering i would suggest two of the CFS-500's or the SUNSUN 302b (search here, CWOgunner does reviews for them)

The sump is a great idea, and it does allow you to put those heaters below, out of sight and mind. If you do decide to go that route, then let me know ( i have a 29gallon which would work perfectly)

you can run two heaters inline with the canisters to get them out of the tank as well.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO LAYERS OF SUBSTRATE. It helps, but it isn't nesessary. I used fertalizers to feed the plants and they grew just fine in my pool sand bottom.

Lighting, you will want 2wpg for a minumum, which lends a problem as the 125 is a bit bigger than the 55 you currenly have. I would suggest going with LED's (search here, they will tell you everything you need to know) or being creative with CFL spot lights. I was thinking last night after you left, that you could make LED spot lights instead of CFL's.

If you need CO2, make a DIY reactor. I made one out of a Coke bottle and some air line, worked fine in my tank, and i tucket it out of the way so no one would see :)

let me know if you need help.

Mike

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
I will add diy co2 on a 125 is really hard. You would need a crazy amount of coke bottles. I needed 2 for my 29 gallon which means you would need something like 9 bottles.

Also 2wpg only really applies to T12 lighting. We have so much better more efficient lights these days. I would suggest getting some T5HO lighting. I would shoot for low lighting because you would be surprised how well plants can do under these conditions.

here is a link that really helped me to understand lighting requirements for a planted tank. http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7503-The-high-light-requirement-myth

rithunder916

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
West Greenwich RI
Real Name
Michael
Yes as of now he's Using T12 and T8's. IF he goes T5HO, which is the best solution, then he won't have a problem.

Hopefully, he wont need to use co2.

Now he just needs to get a stand built ha!

Satuno

AC Members
Dec 18, 2010
Real Name
Auston
I found a 125g on craigslist very similar to this one, I did a DIY background, and I got a 40g glass aquarium to use as sump. I added some all glass baffles, and built an awesome stand. I drilled the glass to put overflows in as well, and a return for the pump.

Now if I had to do this all over again, here is what I would do.

The Overflow would be more in the middle of the tank, not on the side.

The background would be less thick in a lot of spots, and look more rocky/less melty

I would go acyrlic, as the thick glass gives the water a greenish tint

The sump would sit on a piece of foam to help protect against vibration.

all the plumbing would be done with flexible pool hoses (not PVC). The PVC caused horrible vibrations all over the tank, and made it sound like an airplane taking off.

I would also use higher quality/thicker plywood to better insulate the sound of the pump

I would make the stand in the back a little larger to accomadate return/drain pipes, so they drop straight down, instead of 90s. (or I would drill the bottom of the tank if it was acrylic)

and I wont ever let the woman pick out the paint color we will be using ever again...

anyways hope my experience has helped you out a bit!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store