187 Gallon Build Thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishfreak2009

in the fishroom
Jul 12, 2010
Rochester, Michigan
Real Name
Ashton
So everyone, It's almost time for me to start my rebuild on my 187 gallon tank (I plan on starting during Christmas break since I've got alot of homework right now). I'm looking at easier soft corals right now (mainly shrooms and polyps), but would like to get some LPS in the tank eventually. Here's everything I've got to work with.
60" by 24" by 30" Acrylic tank with pre-cut overflow/return
30 Gallon Refugium/Sump Combo being torn off and not being reused for this tank
55 Gallon refugium sump combo I built about a month ago (already tested for leaks)
G200 Protein skimmer
6, 65 watt T5 Bulbs (will only be growing coral in the upper portions even though the mushrooms seem to do wonderfully on the bottom)
2 Koralia Powerheads (the biggest size they sell)
1 150 Watt U.V. Sterilizer
250 Lbs. of Coralline covered Rock
100 lbs. of crushed coral (going to replace this with 200 lbs. of aragonite)
Some brown and olive green zoanthids
1 massive frilly pink and green mushroom
Many lavender mushrooms
1 Blue Ricordea
300 astraea snails (they keep breeding)
3 lbs. of grape caulerpa (trading to the LFS for some chaeto for the new sump)
1 PJ Cardinal
3 Smithi Damsels
6 Yellow Tailed Blue Damsels
1 Royal Gramma
1 Bicolor Angelfish
2 True Percula Clownfish
25 Blueleg Hermit crabs

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
So your tearing this down to do a soft coral reef with some LPS and redoing the sump?? Sorry, confused on what is staying and what is going :)

fishfreak2009

in the fishroom
Jul 12, 2010
Rochester, Michigan
Real Name
Ashton
Pretty much.

I might also add a BTA.

Haydn24

Boo!
Jun 28, 2010
Australia
Real Name
Haydn
Sounds good :) can't wait to see it

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
OMG, I love this section....so many build threads!!!!

Can't wait to see how it transforms!

fishfreak2009

in the fishroom
Jul 12, 2010
Rochester, Michigan
Real Name
Ashton
Well, looks like I'm going Fowlr for a while (although I'm keeping the mushrooms, snails, and hermits I've already got). Maybe someday I will be able to afford the lighting for my tank... :(

Good thing is I get to go spend $250 over break on freshwater fish at a wholesaler!

fishfreak2009

in the fishroom
Jul 12, 2010
Rochester, Michigan
Real Name
Ashton
I wish my parents could make up their minds. Now they decided against the wholesaler, so it looks like I'm going to be getting 4 bags of aragonite and some saltwater fish for my tank.

BTW, the reef just might be a little closer than I thought. One of my LFS has a 4ft, 6 bulb t5 light for $175...

fishfreak2009

in the fishroom
Jul 12, 2010
Rochester, Michigan
Real Name
Ashton
Sorry for such a long post, but there is pics at the end!
So we decided to just replace the bulbs in my current T5 sets I have over the tank. Just started working on it today, and it is already costing me more than I had expected. My heater broke and I didn't know it. I reached into the tank and was sent to the floor! :swear: now, I have a really sore back. At least my dad took me to get a new one. Turns out my parents already bought the sand for the tank (they were gonna wait till christmas), now that the tank is torn down they plan on letting me finish the tank in the next 5 days (My christmas break started today). Got all the crushed coral out of the bottom, and all the fish are living in the previous 30 gallon sump right now (set up across the room on the floor). Using the old sump as a temporary holding tank for all the fish, coral, and some of the live rock, I realized that it would be an amazing quarantine tank! :woot: I am really excited so far and I'm finishing cleaning the tank when my dad gets home later (I can't lift the tank down myself). Hopefully, tommorrow comes all the plumbing and sand, maybe even fill-up! Now Here's some pics of my progress: :dance:

069.JPG

070.JPG

071.JPG

072.JPG

073.JPG

074.JPG

075.JPG

076.JPG

069.JPG 070.JPG 071.JPG 072.JPG 073.JPG 074.JPG 075.JPG 076.JPG

fishfreak2009

in the fishroom
Jul 12, 2010
Rochester, Michigan
Real Name
Ashton
This thread is sad. No one even has a reply. :flamed:

Anyways, I finished putting together the sump and all the plumbing today. Adding water and sand to the main tank tommorrow or monday (depending on when I buff the scratches out. Here are some pics of today's progress.

fish stuff and Birthdays, etc 001.JPG

fish stuff and Birthdays, etc 002.JPG

fish stuff and Birthdays, etc 003.JPG

fish stuff and Birthdays, etc 001.JPG fish stuff and Birthdays, etc 002.JPG fish stuff and Birthdays, etc 003.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store