I have goby cichlid fry! (Spathodus Erythrodon)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
I ended up stripping the male since they don't have a good reputation for holding to term, and I could tell he was about there. It was very difficult with their little overbites, but I managed to get 5 out. I then put him back because I didn't want to stress him too much or keep him from the female and risk breaking their bond. I think he still had a few more in there, but I think he spit them somewhere. It's been several days and the 5 I have are now eating well and doing great now.
Anyway, here's a pic of the pair, the fry, and a pic I took when the dad was holding...

holding goby.JPG spathodus goby pair.JPG goby fry.JPG

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
they are such cool cichlids! congrats!
how big do they grow?

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Yes, they are very cool - and have such comical personalities. They usually are the first to come right up to the glass to get in my face. The pair is about 2 - 2.5" long and I don't expect them to get much bigger. They stay pretty small. They were WC, so I'm not sure on their age.

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
I love gobies, and cichlids :) so the 2 together is just awesome xD lol
just wondering because I'd love a pair, although I never see them xD

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Yes, they are a lot of fun for those of us who love cichlids! I couldn't find any locally so I purchased 6 wild caught adults online and had them shipped to me. 2 didn't make it through quarantine. The remaining 4 are doing just awesome, and as you can tell, two paired up!

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
aww, sucks 2 didn;t make it :( but well done on getting the pair!

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Congrats for the fry...awesome fishes they are!

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
Awesome pics and congrats on the spawn! I've considered a group of these myself. What type water parameters are you keeping them in?

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Thanks for the compliments. I haven't checked my params in quite some time to give accurate readings. I just keep them in hard midwest tap water and they thrive well. They do well in the same water params as other other african cichlids. They should be kept on a diet similar to tropheus since they're quite susceptible to bloat and they need a large tank with lots of rocks. I have my 4 in a 6' long 125g tanganyikan community tank. I had them in my 90g tang tank thats 4' and they fought too much so I would say a 6' tank for a group is a must for the weaker ones to have their own space, although a pair could be in a much smaller tank. They also love exploring shells. I'd highly recommend them to anyone who can provide these requirements! Don't tell my other fish, but they're probably one of my favorites...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store