Pond Species question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jenhunt

AC Members
Dec 11, 2010
Are there any other types of fish besides goldfish and Koi that can survive in an outdoor pond in a temperate climate over the winter? I have been doing some research and am specifically interested in these species. I am located in Nova Scotia, Canada.

1. Rosy red minnows- Have heard you can get them as feeder fish

2. weather loach- Have hear they can survive in the wild in Illinois which probably isn't much different then our climate.

3. White Cloud mountain Minnow- Have heard they can survive 5 degree temperature, have heard people in New York have successfully overwintered them.

4.Chinese high Fin banded Shark- I have heard they are hardy to climate zone 4 and nova scotia is climate zone 5-6 i beleive.

5. Paradise Fish- Have heard they do well in outdoor ponds year round in many parts of Europe.

6. Red Claw Crayfish- I am not sure if you can get louisiana red claw swamp crayfish here but i have heard that people can keep them in outdoor ponds in maine.

Reactions: Nicole Martin

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
Are there any other types of fish besides goldfish and Koi that can survive in an outdoor pond in a temperate climate over the winter? I have been doing some research and am specifically interested in these species. I am located in Nova Scotia, Canada.

1. Rosy red minnows- Have heard you can get them as feeder fish
Definite yes. They actually remain active in winter, and you can see them swimming under the ice. If you have koi, these might get eaten though...
2. weather loach- Have hear they can survive in the wild in Illinois which probably isn't much different then our climate.
Hmm... Maybe? Illinois is a little more south, but I think it's cold...so I don't know. They are a coldwater fish, but I think they would prefer temperatures upward of 40* I'd say no though.
3. White Cloud mountain Minnow- Have heard they can survive 5 degree temperature, have heard people in New York have successfully overwintered them.
Same as with the weather loach. I'd say yes for these, but it would be good to have a waterfall or pond heater to help stop ice.
4.Chinese high Fin banded Shark- I have heard they are hardy to climate zone 4 and nova scotia is climate zone 5-6 i beleive.
I'm saying no. They are cool water fish, but I relaly don't think you could overwinter one in Canada.
5. Paradise Fish- Have heard they do well in outdoor ponds year round in many parts of Europe.
That would probably have been warmer parts of Europe. They are a definite no. You might be able to pull it off in the summer, but not in the winter.
6. Red Claw Crayfish- I am not sure if you can get louisiana red claw swamp crayfish here but i have heard that people can keep them in outdoor ponds in maine.
I'd say yes. Here in MD, my grandfather used to have a farm with a spring house. The water was consistently 55-60*, even in summer, and it froze pretty regularly. There was 'minnows' (some species of dace) and crayfish (probably P. clarkii) in there.
Answers above. Just my opinions..

MaryHM

AC Members
Jan 27, 2005
Austin, TX
Bitterlings.

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
What about mosquito fish? Maybe? no?

jenhunt

AC Members
Dec 11, 2010
thanks for the feedback guys. I haven't ever seen mosquito fish for sale here but i have heard that you can purchase them in certain spots. I have no idea what their temperature tolerance is like though.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam

maxcow

AC Members
Oct 12, 2010
I keep several species of natives but also keep gold fish, koi, grass carp, and goldies and i normally get 3-6 feet of ice. my pond is 10 feet. I have had success in keeping white clouds and convicts in a heated outdoor pond that got only down into the 60s. the convicts even bred over winter while there was 4 feet of snow outside :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store