BN Pleco Birth Control

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Over the weekend my BN pleco's spawned again, this will now be the 3rd spawn in a 29G. Since most of the fry are too small to ship, especially with the cold weather, I want to prevent them from spawning again for a while.

I know there is the option of a tank divider, however, I cannot afford one right now.

My other options are to temporarily house the male (probably 3.5-4" long) in a 10G that I have. But I am not sure if that is really way too small, even temporarily.

The other option is to put the male in my 55G. Problem there is I think I may end up over stocking the tank if I do that. I also have another BN male in that tank, and the 2 fought when in the 29G together (although that could have been due to the presence of the female). So, where do I temporarily move the male?

Thanks.

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
I think a 10 gallon would be fine if the BN is by itself. It probably would also be ok in the 55 if it there is no female and plenty of hiding places.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Remove the eggs as you find them....or, have a talk with them about contraception.
I tried the talk, for some reason they did not appear to be paying attention!!

I had thought about simply removing the eggs though, especially as they always spawn in the same fairly accessible location.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I agree with others....either remove the eggs or put the male into the 55G with the other male. They should not fight since there is no female to fight over breeding with. They'll coexist fine.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
You could take the cave out. That should slow them down.

If there is no female in the 55 and you provide cover, both males should handle being in the same tank.

Depending on where you are located, a three day heat pack in an insulated box should allow you to ship using over night express. Unless you're in Minnesota. Or... ;-)

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
You could take the cave out. That should slow them down.

If there is no female in the 55 and you provide cover, both males should handle being in the same tank.

Depending on where you are located, a three day heat pack in an insulated box should allow you to ship using over night express. Unless you're in Minnesota. Or... ;-)
Funny thing is they don't spawn in a cave, instead they spawn front and center on some driftwood.

I have 49 x 72 hour heat packs ready to go, but last time I tried shipping some via USPS was not a great experience. At some point I will try again, but also want the fry to be a little bigger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store