How can you tell if your female betta has eggs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

digitalphrage

oh god how did this get here i am n
If she suddenly puts on weight -- gets fat, and you see a small white thing sticking out from her underside (it's an egg tube), that's a pretty good indication that the female betta is filled with eggs.

Depending on the coloration of your fish, you might see the bars, but honestly, if your female betta is brightly colored, that won't be much of an indication as to whether she's got eggs or not.

asianleful

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
If she suddenly puts on weight -- gets fat, and you see a small white thing sticking out from her underside (it's an egg tube), that's a pretty good indication that the female betta is filled with eggs.

Depending on the coloration of your fish, you might see the bars, but honestly, if your female betta is brightly colored, that won't be much of an indication as to whether she's got eggs or not.
I can't really tell if it's the egg-tube or just something thats always there for females. it's kind of a nub, stub, bump on the bottom of her body almost right under the pectoral fins. And right behind those two pointed fins in the front, forgot what they were called. An shes just a common blueish-purple one.

digitalphrage

oh god how did this get here i am n
That's the general area where the egg tube will appear. Is the bump white? If so, then it's definitely the egg tube. However, I'd also say that the appearance of an egg tube, or the appearance of stripes aren't exactly sure-fire indications that your female is producing eggs.

The most important thing to look for is when your fish starts bulking up. You can help the process along by feeding ***slightly*** more and introducing live foods. If you can get your hands on blackworms, those will almost certainly induce egg production.

If you have a male fish (or other female fish) to compare to, then you'll see a marked difference in how bulky her mid-section is getting.

Are you planning to breed your fish? Definitely do some homework on that, since sometimes it's a quick and painless process, but other times, your fish can cause each other a lot of grief. Also, in my experience, the female really only develops the stripes after being introduced to a male when she's in breeding condition and ready to lay eggs. Otherwise, no stripes.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
the white bump is always there. this is the ovipositor spot. it may extend down slightly when a female is full of eggs.

the vertical stripes, or 'barring', is an indication that she is ready to breed. i have seen, and owned, females that had the vertical barring occasionally without ever seeing a male in their lives.

you mention she's a 'common blue-ish purple one'. you got her from a pet store or lfs? if so, don't bother trying to breed her. bettas sold at stores are usually past their breeding prime (around 6 to 9 months old). as well, the genetics in pet store bettas are soooooo mixed that you won't end up with quality bettas that will sell. the market is saturated with 'common bettas', so why bring more into the world?

asianleful

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
the white bump is always there. this is the ovipositor spot. it may extend down slightly when a female is full of eggs.

the vertical stripes, or 'barring', is an indication that she is ready to breed. i have seen, and owned, females that had the vertical barring occasionally without ever seeing a male in their lives.

you mention she's a 'common blue-ish purple one'. you got her from a pet store or lfs? if so, don't bother trying to breed her. bettas sold at stores are usually past their breeding prime (around 6 to 9 months old). as well, the genetics in pet store bettas are soooooo mixed that you won't end up with quality bettas that will sell. the market is saturated with 'common bettas', so why bring more into the world?
I got her from a LFS she's relatively sall for a female though. I got her a couple weeks ago and now shes grown alot! and the breeding was just something I wanted to try out. My cousins wanted some bettas and I just told them that I would TRY to breed mine to see if Iget any good colored ones. Howcan you tell if they're between 6-9 months old?

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
if you buy a betta from a breeder you would be able to ask the age, but with a pet store they never know. bettas in their breeding prime (6 to 9 months old) will be slightly smaller and their fins won't be quite as long and flowing as those available in stores. i'm talking strictly of male bettas here, since females don't have the same finnage as males and are more difficult to accurately determine age on.

yourhero5002

AC Members
Oct 1, 2010
a female should be atleast 3 months before being bred.

technically all females have eggs at all times. and they can be bred again 2weeks after having been bred.

You'll know she is ready when she looks full, has the white spot showing cleraly, and the vertical signs.
^those are signs she's ready to mate.

asianleful

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
a female should be atleast 3 months before being bred.

technically all females have eggs at all times. and they can be bred again 2weeks after having been bred.

You'll know she is ready when she looks full, has the white spot showing cleraly, and the vertical signs.
^those are signs she's ready to mate.
Yeah, those are all te "symptoms" of my betta. I'm just desperately waiting for the male to finish his bubble nest!:grinno:

asianleful

AC Members
Nov 30, 2010
The male looks very interested when I put her in the glass tower, flaring and everything. But he's not making the nest!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store