10 Gallon Paludarium - First one!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

paperdog9

AC Members
Dec 13, 2010
Ok, I'm starting up a paludarium that will be a foam scape. I am a member of myfishtank, but this site seems to have more things about paludariums. I will probably just copy and paste a few posts from myfishtank to here that have my questions on them, so here it goes! ( the first one will be a long one, it shows my plan so far)

Well, I guess I'll just post pictures. the drawing are bad and kind of confusing so I'll explain it as well. The first picture is the front view. The darkened lines are all the things you will actally see, while the light colored lines are sort of the guts (sorry I had to use a word that put a disturbing picture in you head
Anyways, the darkened line at the top is the top of the foam structure, the two lines in the middle are a "shelf" that is going to be the land area, and the darkened square with lines is a square cut in the foam for the intake of my big filter. You can see the rest of the filter rising up behind the foam and a little slit for a waterfall outtake. the thingy right next the the intake square is a crude drawing of a heater
and the thing nest to it is the other smaller filter. there is tubing rising up behind the foam and out the hole making a smaller waterfall. In the very center of the picture is a light colored line which shows a "bowl" sort of thing for puting in some soil ( 1 inch).

Now to the second picture.
This is the side view. The vertical line to the left is the thickness of the foam wall and you can see the filter in it's place behind the wall. the wierd squareish thing near the bottom is suppose to be the other filter.
the shelf in the middle looks really wierd because the shelf does not go strait across. I will make more sense when you move on the the third picture. soo...

the third picture! this is the top view, with the front of the tank pointing down. you can see that the foam wall starts at four inches thick on the right and gradually goes down to three on the left. this is just because the big filter is really bulky. also the shelf gradually gets smaller going from left to right which is just to create moe water surface area. the largest and the smallest squareish circleish things in the self are going to contain the 1 inch of dirt, and the circular thing in between them is going to be a shallow pool fed by the small waterfall. the rest is just the outline of the filters and the heater. Sorry about the REALLY onlg post but my drawings are very hard to understand. I am thinking about possibly joining a different forum (probably aqariuacentral) because myfishtank doesnt seem to have as many paludarium people. I'm not saying I'm quitting this forum, I'll still do lots of posting and stuff, but just to get some of my questions answered. Thanks for bearing with me!!

014.JPG 015.JPG 016.JPG

Last edited:

paperdog9

AC Members
Dec 13, 2010
Now for a few questions. When I'm using foam for my paludarium, do you have to use this - 20 x 30 inch White Foam Board foam or can you use this - Foamular 2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. F-150 Insulation Board - 270895 at The Home Depot foam? There is no price on the Michaels website so which one cost less?

Aslo, I'm planning on stocking it with 2 firebellied toads, so would it be safe to put a betta and/or an african dwarf frog in there as well or will the Firebellied toad make a meal of them. Thank you!!:feedback:

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
try organizing your post a little more, put bigger spaces between diffeerent paragraphs with different topics. It makes it easier on the reader...

I'm kind of confused, can you reword it a little bit?

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
It depends on the water space, what do you think the height/dimensions of the water will be? I think that with smaller water spaces, then you'll expect problems between the aquatic life and the FBT's. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that the FBT's toxins will contaminate the water.

You can get 3 FBT's in a 10g, I currently have one set-up right now(being rebuilt soon...)

Heres the link:

paperdog9

AC Members
Dec 13, 2010
Sorry, I seperated the paragraphs a bit, but I just copied and pasted off another site so I probably is sort of confusing. I'll try to summerize what is going on.

I and starting up a 10 gallon paludarium (obviously) and I am planning on making it a foam scape. In the first post it show my drawings of the plans, but they are kinda confusing to look at so I just explained them a bit. I'm not going to reword them because I don't really think its REALLY important and it would take a LONG time ;).

I the second post it has the questions (the more important part). the fist one is asking if either of those types of foam are aquarium safe and which one cost less.

Then the stocking question which is asking if fire bellied toads are safe with african dwarf frogs or bettas.

Again really sorry about the confusion, I'm just really excited. Thank you also for the tip, I'll remember it :)

paperdog9

AC Members
Dec 13, 2010
Oops sorry we posted at the same time :) I'll check out your paludarium, and I think the area of the water will be about 20 long, 5 1/5 inches form front to back, and about 6 inches tall. I'm not completely sure but it will probably be about 3 or 4 gallons. It's fine if it doesn't work, just curious :) Thanks Again!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
no problem, I was originally asking about the first post, your second post was fine.

I wouldn't reccomend a shelf palu for FBT's, as they need more land space. A divided palu would be better, as they like to have plenty of land space. You will want cover on the land too if you get multiple frogs.

This could work if you have 2-3" of water, and slopes leading up the shelf (or branches) but that would mean no aquatic life. Hope I helped, theres tons of people on here who know more about this then me, so I would listen to what the have to say first.

paperdog9

AC Members
Dec 13, 2010
Thanks a ton! My inspiration came from this - 10 gallon paludarium - Paludariums - Aquatic Plant Central and that person had FBTs, but I don't really know if it would be a viable source. I kinda REALLY want the setup so my stocking options are open. Do you think it would be a setup fit for Fire Bellied Newts, or are they similar for needs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store