Stocking 55 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Almica

Poor College Student
Apr 18, 2010
New York City
Real Name
Alma
I'm new to cichlids. I have a blood parrot and he's outgrowing his current tank. I have a 55 gallon tank that just finished cycling that I'm going to move him into and I'm wondering what other cichlids I can put in there. I was thinking of the small African ones but I don't know which species or exactly how many. The fact that my LFS has a sign that says "Assorted African Cichlids" doesn't help much.
I'm looking for colorful and interesting fish.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Almica

Poor College Student
Apr 18, 2010
New York City
Real Name
Alma
After some more research and checking out my LFS again, I decided on
2 Bolivian Rams
1 Angel fish
6-7 Harlequin rasboras

ofortuna08

AC Members
Dec 18, 2010
iowa city
Real Name
Patrick
I i have 3 large BP's in my community tank along with
4 angel fish
4 loaches
6 Congo tetra
2 African leaf fish
a few gorambie
and an elaphant nose fish
but i don't think i would ever try to add any other aggressive Cichlid, because the BP cant protect itself

go to http://parrotcichlid.com/

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
Your stock sounds good. Altough if your blood parrot is from the KINGKONG gene pool your going to have some problems. Shell end up eatting the rasboras. Now it sounds like you shop at a petsmart or petco. So you shouldn't have this problem as the blood parrots there are almost always a female blood parrot x Midas/red devil hybrid. Blood parrots can actually get pert aggressive but it depends on each individual fish.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I i have 3 large BP's in my community tank along with
4 angel fish
4 loaches
6 Congo tetra
2 African leaf fish
a few gorambie
and an elaphant nose fish
but i don't think i would ever try to add any other aggressive Cichlid, because the BP cant protect itself

go to http://parrotcichlid.com/
thats overstocked for a 55...

as for your tank, you could double the amount of harlequins....

Almica

Poor College Student
Apr 18, 2010
New York City
Real Name
Alma
Your stock sounds good. Altough if your blood parrot is from the KINGKONG gene pool your going to have some problems. Shell end up eatting the rasboras. Now it sounds like you shop at a petsmart or petco. So you shouldn't have this problem as the blood parrots there are almost always a female blood parrot x Midas/red devil hybrid. Blood parrots can actually get pert aggressive but it depends on each individual fish.
Yes, I had a problem with my blood parrot. He got super aggressive and ended up killing two fish. I managed to find him a new home.

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
Hmm sorry to hear about that. Maybe try something new like rainbow cichlids?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store