African Dwarf frogs in planted tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beeperz2134

Registered Member
Dec 16, 2010
phoenix, az
I've had my three little guys for about a year now and they are currently in a 65 gallon tank non planted tank -
i would like to try to combine all my fish into 1 planted tank but i'm not sure how they would do and what i need to be cautious of with them. I don't want them to get hurt.

please let me know what you think of adding these guys all together in a planted tank:

in the unplanted tank i have:

3- African dwarf frogs
1- pleco-(i know he'll probably dig stuff up)
6- cherry barbs
6 - platies (which i'd known how much they reproduce before i got the original 2 :))
5- kuhli

then in my planted tank i have
2- dwarf puffers
1- farowella
5- cardinals
1-otto
1- desert goby
2- sydthimunki loaches
1-Florida flagfish
lots of snails

any suggestions? Am I out of my mind for wanting to combine them together? What do I need to take precautions on to keep the African dwarf frogs safe?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I do not see a problem with combinding them in one tank.

Except the pleco may munch on some of the plants.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
the pleco probably won't so much eat the plants as dig them up for fun. probably depends on the species, but i have never succeeded in keeping rooted plants rooted with a pleco in town.

do you have salt in the planted tank? the puffers and flag fish would like that, but the frogs and all of the other fish and the plants certainly wouldn't

noledoc

Tornado Approved
Nov 25, 2010
Gentle Mountains of NE Tennessee
Real Name
Paul
dwarf frogs plus shrimp and Celestial Pearl Danios?

How would these interesting animals get along in a very large planted tank? Cherry shrimp, dwarf frogs and Celestial Pearl Danios?

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I'd be worried about the dwarf puffers mostly I think.

Anoxia

AC Members
Jan 12, 2010
I don't know, dwarf frogs are so small and slow. They could get outcompeted at mealtimes, or bullied by the goby, puffer, flagfish... maybe even the loaches. If it were me, I'd keep them with the more peaceful tankmates they already have. You could always add plants to their current tank. Being so helpless, the frogs would probably feel more secure having plants to hide in.

If you decide to do it, consider maintaining a good supply of live blackworms in your substrate for the frogs, so they can take their time finding food. I was able to keep a pair of dwarf frogs in a tank with praecox rainbowfish that way, and they remained very well fed.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Those puffers are going to terrorize the farowella & cardinals.

beeperz2134

Registered Member
Dec 16, 2010
phoenix, az
Thank you for your responses.... Believe it or not -- my male african dwarf frog "picks on" my pleco - sits on his face gets in front of him during feeding time. it's pretty funny. unfortunately i've faced my first "ich" encounter and lost 1-cardinal tetra and my farlowella. I think that was ok for my first time treating for this. So I've changed my plans and keeping my 30g as basically a puffer tank - with the 3-puffers, 1 otto and 1- goby.

jawasnack

Live plants and fish make you smile
Dec 8, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Gary
I would not keep the dwarf frogs with community fish period. The may seem slow to you but they're fast when they want to be. I kept one in a 10gal tank and fed him feeder guppies and after 2-3 months it was big enough I moved up to small feeder goldfish.
Once the frog was almost the size of my hand I gave back to the pet shop I got him from.

Your Cardinals, Cherry Barbs and Platys will make a nice snack...

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
That wasn't a dwarf frog, that was a CLAWED frog. Dwarf frogs stay small. Clawed frogs grow as large as your fist.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store