SICK Discus!! Help!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bgolfer88

AC Members
Feb 17, 2010
Virginia
One of my 3 discus has been staying in one corner, has dark colors, won't eat and has been leaning on occasion. The other two are fine. Any suggestions?

Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate-18
pH- 6.5
Temp- 80

This has been going on for several days. I had one fish die about a day before and then had a nitrate spike to around 30 ppm. I've been doing daily water changes to get levels back down.
ALSO: I noticed what looked like slime coming off him when he has looked at his worst.

Bgolfer88

AC Members
Feb 17, 2010
Virginia
the other two def did not pair. the sick one is the dominant one and has laid eggs with one of the two healthy ones before.

Is it safe to do like 2 40% water changes in a day? Every time I do one he seems to brighten up.

Bgolfer88

AC Members
Feb 17, 2010
Virginia
Thanks, i'm starting now. I do think that nitrates have something to do with it. I've been keeping it at 10 but like I said, a fish died overnight (stupid platy's!) and I didn't see if for a little. I think after the ammonia from the corpse got cycled my nitrates went up up and away =p

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Discus love lots of clean water...do it for a couple of days and see how things are. The other thing you can do is drop an airstone for awhile. Watch for any other symptoms that may point to another etiology. Good Luck

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Don't be afraid to change lots of water at once. I change out all but just enough water to cover the top of the discus in my 72G tank each week. I'vr done it this was for years for all my tanks. I temperature match the water going back in so it's the same.

Have you added any new fish recently?

Bgolfer88

AC Members
Feb 17, 2010
Virginia
No new fish. Just 2 platy's now. Although he is still in his corner he looks better again. I don't think i'll be happy until he eats again tho. He won't even take brine shrimp which used to be his fav snack. What about the garlic supplements? Do u think this would help his appetite?

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Not sure why he'd be so affected by a rise in nitrate unless you also spiked a little ammonia or nitrite too. How about some frozen bloodworms? They are like discus cocaine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store