My CO2 experiment

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
My 100gal is a forrest. Every week I must prune and throw/give away lots of plant. My red Neasea grows 4 inches in 7 days. I have 420watts of PC lights (6700k and 10000K mixed). I do ferts every other day.

Well, about 2 months ago my LFS said to try an idea.

1) I cut my lights down to 228 watts.
2) Shut off CO2.
3) Lights from 9hours to 8
4) Started using "Equilibrium" by Seachem--dose twice a week.
5) Dose twice a week with ferts (was 3x) and cut the dose in half (not same day as Equilibrium).

Two months later.
My tank looks the same===except I only had to prune once. My stem plants are thinner. All the plants seem to have stopped growing. My tanks still looks nice, but no growth (and thinner stems).

I will start the CO2 again, but everything else will stay the same and see what happens.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Oh--Sorry.

Was told by LFS that with "Equilibrium" I could cut my lights, ect and my grow will be the same. Was told that's what he uses and gets good results. He has good plants.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Thanks..

The tanks looks more or less the same. Just my stem plants are more thinner. Usually when I pull my Nasea to prune, they stand straight. Now because they are thinner, they kind of droop.

tank still looks nice. :)

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Update.

On January 2nd I re-started my CO2, upped the lights, ect. The tank is back to the way it was back in early October.

WOW!!! My plants just took off!!! The first few days there was not much difference, but about last week my plants are noticeably "bushier". My red Nasea is now bright red again. I just pulled out about a pound of plants---pruning.

Wow, what a difference. Hindsite---should have took before and after pics. :thud:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store