Dreaming up a new tang tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Michigan - Indiana Border
Real Name
Russ
Hey guys,

This past year, with my family double move, I sold off my 265 :cry: and my 125 didn't handle storage very well and leaked, again (it's an old tank that I recalked a year or two ago and I have no desire to recalk again). I am thinking about picking up a new 7' 180? I want to make a show tank in put in a BTN background.

What do you think would be a cool tang community:
  • My existing altos (6 calvus & 2 comps).
  • Julies
  • Lelupi
  • Sand sifter (Feather fin)
  • Syno cats
  • Shellies
  • Zebra nerrite snails
  • Cyps (I am a cyp killer).
Also, I was toying around with the idea of putting fronts in. Being a frontosa fanatic, I realize the problems that could present. Here is my twist,... if I put frontosa fry in, I'd have about two years before I had to take action to keep other tank mates from getting eaten. What I could do, I think, is have all female frontosa in there. Females usually max out at 5 to 6 inches OR I could sell them off after two years and start over with more fry???

Any other fish ideas?

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Russ

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
I think you'd be wasting money on Cyps if you choose to keep Fronts. I think you'd be okay with one or the other and your planned stocklist but I think eventually the Fronts will realize the Cyps taste good. You might get to see a bait ball though.
I've never been able to keep shellies with my Calvus. I've tried adults of several species and they always end up Calvus food. Might just be my fish of course but it's something to think about. You might have success starting everyone as juvies, and as you said, I would stick with females where possible... with everything but the Calvus and Cyps IMO.

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
I would definitely not plan to put cyps and fronts together. I've read that cyps are part of the natural diet of fronts. They will eat them eventually and that would be sad...
I have had ocellatus shelldwellers in with my adult calvus black congo trio for quite some time without any issues. Aside from the fronts, I think you have a cool mix! If you're set on having the fronts, I'd take a second look at your stocking...

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Real Name
Russ
Thanks guys. I like cyps but they are not a consideration for me as I am sick of seeing them waste away. You are right about fronts and cyps though (I would not combine the two species). Fronts would be perfect for my dream tang community tank if they never got bigger than 5 inches.

I have had very good luck with my wild caught brevis and wc orange fin comps.

I'd like to try my hand at feather fins. I need to do some home work on them.

Thanks for the replys!

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
Goes to show you- every fish is an individual. In my case I have a large male Calvus that seems to have an inherent hatred for shellies. On the other hand I have a 6" sexfasciatus that could care less. It's awesome you guys are able to keep them together, I had to go another route in stocking.
I feel your pain with Cyps, Razzo. I'm giving up. At $15 each here my wife has forbade me from trying again.
I've read that featherfins can be very aggressive, but at 7' you should be able to handle some more aggressive fish.

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Real Name
Russ
Goes to show you- every fish is an individual. In my case I have a large male Calvus that seems to have an inherent hatred for shellies. On the other hand I have a 6" sexfasciatus that could care less. It's awesome you guys are able to keep them together, I had to go another route in stocking.
I feel your pain with Cyps, Razzo. I'm giving up. At $15 each here my wife has forbade me from trying again.
I've read that featherfins can be very aggressive, but at 7' you should be able to handle some more aggressive fish.
A couple years ago, I purchased 22 wild caught cyps. Seeing all but four of them slowly waste away and die, is one of my low-lights in the hobby. I don't consder myself a newbe in the hobby - I was humbled with them. I couldn't stop it. I have no desire to do that again.

They were good looking cyps when I go them - nice and healthy. A few of them where even holding...

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
They are/ were gorgeous. I've had the same problem. They never seem to truly acclimate and slowly wither away. Have you tried keeping them in a species- only tank? If I had the disposable income to throw another 10 in the 75 with maybe only a few synos I would totally try it. Mine always seemed stressed and never ate well. Oh well, eh?
I know they're usually not tossed in tanks with shellies, but both N. sexfascitatus and N. tretocephalus can look great in a tank that size. The trets would give you that Front look, but I would stick to one female of each. I went through 3 trets to find a female docile enough to play nice and she's become a fixture for the past 3 years. She's only hit 4" and the sexi ( same age, female, 4 or so yrs ), is at 6". Both are submissive to a 3" S. tinanti male. The tinanti's are interesting but not a true biotope Tang in the sense that they live in the fast moving tributaries. They've mixed well with my stock though.
Again, it's almost always a crap shoot. Some fish are just mean as hell, but my answer has always been to keep the most docile females and they seem to do fine. I just wonder about the Furcifer, but you may be fine with that much space to work with.

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
I've had pretty good luck with my F1 Cyprichromis Leptosoma Utinta. I've had them for about 1.5 years and have raised about a dozen fry successfully. I was very good about doing about a 20% water change per week. I've kept them with leleupi, cylindricus, o. boops, calvus, and julis without issue. I currently have them in a 75 gallon with multis and a few juli ornatus. I've had a hectic schedule lately and slacked off on water changes, one male got pop eye, which he's recovering nicely from. I did have a cype here and there suddenly die when I tried to do a very large water change., so I've tried to stick with 20% weekly. Raising fry hasn't been easy. I have to watch when the female starts holding, wait about 20 days and net her up to get her to spit the fry. I have to raise those in a separate tank with very frequent water changes as well. In a couple months I put them back in with the adults. I still only have about a 75% survival rate with the fry. I feed NLS with the occasional live or frozen food and spirula flake. They love microworms and they look a little crazy darting around the tank eating "invisible" food.
I bought 8 F1 Cyprichromis Leptosoma Katete a few months back and they are maturing nicely, although looks like the group is heavy in males. I can't wait for those to spawn!
Anyway, just sharing my experience with cyps. I have had some deaths, but find them worth the work.

Ps- the pictures of the ones you had look great!! Sorry for your loss. Perhaps F1's are easier to keep than WC?

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Real Name
Russ
Thanks for the replys. About water changes, maybe I was changing too much water weekly????

Maybe F1s may be the route to go. Definietly will not spend the money on wild fish. I think I'll put F1 cyps on my list of possibilities. It will be an either or thing with the Gibberosa.

Thanks,
Russ

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store