Fry take 2 fail

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
Hey gang, its been awhile since ive been here in the rifties section. that last batch of fry that i had from my dayglow aulonocara went well the first 21 days. i let the female hold them and than striped the fry. than i raised them in a tumbler until they were free swimming. from there i moved them into a bare 10g. once their stumachs were gone i began to powder my foods and use a turkey baster to feed them. than about 4-5 days later they started to go belly up, a few first, than slowly more and more until they were all gone :confused: idk what happened, but for the second time it didnt work.

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
I would do small water changes every other day. It's possible that you were feeding them heavy to make sure the fry would find food and it was polluting the water. Usually we don't keep very strong filters in fry tanks (so they aren't at risk of being sucked up) so frequent small water changes are a must.

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
I may be mistaken, but even if the fry have some egg sac left at 21 days, you shouldn't have to tumble them at that point. They should be able to feed off of that until it's gone, and then you can start crushed flake or whatever you prefer. I've stripped mbuna fry with egg sacs and never tumbled. They just slide along the bottom until it's consumed. Perhaps by tumbling them after stripping, some physical damage is being done? How often do you do WC's as well?

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
i tried to do a partial change every other day to suck the leftover food. and i had a sponge prefilter to keep them from getting sucked in. and at day 21 they still had quite a bit of the yolk sac left, they wernt capable of swimming still so i left them on a real gentle tumble. once they could sorta swim i turned it down lower, than when they could swim i left it off and than made the move. idk, i suppose maybe i should have ordered or found some fry food rather than powdering food.

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
I would increase your water changes - the sponge filters don't provide much filtration. It sounds like the fry developing on the slow side, maybe due to low temps. Keep the temperature at about 80. I've had a lot of success with fragile fry on NLS fry starter powder and decapsulated bs eggs. Microworms are pretty easy to keep on hand too.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
I would increase your water changes - the sponge filters don't provide much filtration. It sounds like the fry developing on the slow side, maybe due to low temps. Keep the temperature at about 80. I've had a lot of success with fragile fry on NLS fry starter powder and decapsulated bs eggs. Microworms are pretty easy to keep on hand too.
sorry, i wasnt clear on my filter. i have a HOB with 100gph with a sponge over the filter to keep them from getting sucked in.

they were developing slow and were in low 70s. i got a heater for the 10 and slowly cranked it up to like 78. next time im gonna buy specialized fry food rather than trying to make my own.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Ive been thru such on many occassions with many batches, usually due to my laziness.

Rearing tank should be monitored closely until you get the hang of it, especially in small tank.

Reasons can be many but at least avoid xtreme conditions (it could happened pretty faster than most may think) and/or sudden drastic changes.

Try Paracyprichromis nigripinnis in your avatar, a gorgeous fish.

Better luck with next spawn.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
Ive been thru such on many occassions with many batches, usually due to my laziness.

Rearing tank should be monitored closely until you get the hang of it, especially in small tank.

Reasons can be many but at least avoid xtreme conditions (it could happened pretty faster than most may think) and/or sudden drastic changes.

Try Paracyprichromis nigripinnis in your avatar, a gorgeous fish.

Better luck with next spawn.
thanks, ill try to monitor the tank more next time, with finals and all coming up i didnt watch the tank as much as i should have.

and my avatar is actually Benthochromis tricoti, the tang fish that i wish to have the most, maybe someday. I've always wanted a nice group of paracyps, but ive never really had the money, and now i just dont have the time since I'll be shutting down my tanks in a few months.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store