Enrichment

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Michigan - Indiana Border
Real Name
Russ
Added a few more rocks in the F1 Altolamprologus calvus (black congo white pearl) 55 gallon fry tank today. In summer, we spend many evenings swimming in Lake Michigan and pulling up some interesting rocks that have lots of holes & crevices eroded in them. The calvus fry love those crevices. You have to be careful when removing the rocks because the calvus will undoubtedly be in some of them. It's funny watching these little dudes - they are already territorial and will have little battles over a favorite crevice. I hope all the rocks will help minimize aggression. Here are some pics, hope you like...

Full tank shot

Crevice battle: see the little dude tucked back in the crevice?
I was watching him battle any potential squaters

You can see him in back with his fins errect

Pics of the parents for anyone who may not have seen my other posts

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
how old are these little guys now? i remember the first thread when they were just wigglers

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Real Name
Russ
how old are these little guys now? i remember the first thread when they were just wigglers
March 31st Austin. With the double move and 3 months in the temp loft apartment, my interest in my fish was low. I have not been doing power feedings or multiple weekly water changes so their growth rate has probably been much slower than it coulod have been. My interest is back to normal and I have started power feeding and doing multiple weekly water changes so I expect their growth rate to increase. I'd like to get the majority of them close to 1.5" by March. Very doable with power feedings and multiple weekly wc.

Slooooow growers.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
thats awesome, i cant believe these fish can reach adulthood in the lake without getting eaten. About how many are there?

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Real Name
Russ
thats awesome, i cant believe these fish can reach adulthood in the lake without getting eaten. About how many are there?
It's only a guess, but I'd say close to 200. I cut my teeth on these guys and had heavy losses with some batches early on. Once you get past the first few weeks, you don't loose many.

My sister had a couple comp fry survive in her tank and get to a size that they would not get eaten. I thought that was amazing! Her substate is CariSea cichlid gravel (a bunch of crushed shells) and they found a way to hid and survive.

Life and the Creator of life never cease to amaze me.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
The parents are beautiful! I could go for a pair of them! Little guys are cute. I might be interested in some juvies when time for them to go.

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
Wow, they are stunning Razzo! I've thought about them myself. You think a 20g with 9 shellies(Multies) and a pair of these guys is too much?

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
how much are you gonna sell those little buggers for?

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
March 31st to get to that size?! Oh man! I'm growing out my first spawn of these, which were born in October. I was looking so forward to the day when they looked like real calvus. I knew they were slow growers, but sheesh.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store