A CHEAP light suggestion for 2.5 gallons!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

xoparis

AC Members
Sep 16, 2008
I found an UNDER THIRTY DOLLAR(yesss!) solution to compact lighting for a 2.5 gallon tank!

Its made by exoterra.

I bought the small size:

And swapped out the bulb for one of my own tank bulbs and it sits PERFECTLY on top of my 2.5 gal!

It in action. Pardon my dark room and blackberry photo:

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
looks good! is there room at the back of the tank still for filters n such?

xoparis

AC Members
Sep 16, 2008
they say 2.5 on the tank(and are sold as such) but I believe they are smaller. I use under-gravel or sponge filters in these tiny ones, so a filter area isn't a necessary thing for me.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
either a 2.5 is really small or that light is freaking huge!!!!
The light is just really tall ;)

The thing that turned me off about 2.5 gallon tanks is that they come with a pane of glass over the top and a handle (the same kind of handle on Versa tops) so you have to take the whole pane of glass off to feed the fish.

It's more convenient to have it be open topped, but I think the evaporation would fry the light fixture.

So in order to feed fish, you'd have to take the light off, then the whole top off.

I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but it gets a little annoying after a while :mad2:

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Says it's $17 for that top on the website, a 2.5 gallon tank is about $10...lol, when can you ever buy a new 20 gallon setup for $27? ;)

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
xoparis, where did you find this, gotta link? I think this may finally be the answer for my 1.5....somebody had a nice little light they did some diy on a mounting for the other day but I lost the link, confound it.

And for the "shoulda got a 20g....", um, sometimes bigger is not always better. Shrimp/invert tanks....QT/hospital...many applications are better accomplished in a smaller volume. And not all of us have infinite space but still want/need multpile tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store