GSP with white cotton thing on belly?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

linbeg

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
Info:
I am currently housing one GSP in a 30 gallon tank with salinity of 1.008 by himself. I feed him pond snails every other day, however, the pond snails i give him are in a goldfish tank whose ammonia level are fairly high(if that has anything to do with the situation), cocktail shrimp, and some freeze dried krill. I have had him for 3 weeks and bought him from Walmart.

Situation:
Recently, my puffer has been flashing and scratching into objects occasionally. When the lights are turned on, my puffer seems to be stressed out, and when turned off his belly turns white as in he looks like he's in perfect condition( he wasn't always like this, he used to not been stressed out by the lights). So i just tend to leave the lights turned of for now as to not to stress him more. However, when he sleeps and lays in the sand bed for a while, and swims back up, he usually seems to have some white cottony thingy on his belly. I can't make heads or tails of it, or it may be just sand stuck on him. Could this white cotton thing, if it isn't sand be an external parasite? & if so, are there any ways to treat my puffer without using chemicals; or if so the safest?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
My guess is sand. Can you post a pic? The flashing could be external parasites or gill flukes. How's his breathing?

linbeg

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
He doesn't breathe heavily. Only sometimes i think, if i turn the bubbler off. Oh yeah, sometimes, if i turn the bubbler off, he tires to eat any bubbles he sees in the surface as if it were food. And the if the white thing falls of after he swims is it wouldn't be a parasite right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store