CO2 And O2

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cbster

AC Members
Nov 16, 2003
Freeburg, IL
I keep reading about having to have a balance between CO2 and O2. So i was wondering about running CO2 with a ph controller. Do you have to worry about a balance between the two if you are running a ph controller?

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
I agree with tom, but i'll do it with more words ;)

O2 and CO2 are independent (i.e., if you have 100% O2 that does not mean that you have 0% CO2. Your CO2 can still be 90%....) If you have 100% O2 and 100% co2 your fish will be able to inhale but wont be able to exhale. But this is a very rare thing to do.

Add yoru co2. Adjust your pH controller as necessary. Monitor your CO2 levels and have surface agitation to ensure gas exchange. Yea, gas exchange removes co2 from the water, but it also adds O2.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
A pH controller is a useful tool for a grad student.
The probes have to be calibrated and replaced as needed. They product very predictable results for charting things.
Did I mention that the probes have to be recalibrate and replaced periodically?

A drop checker will give you decent results and the health of your plants will tell you all you really need to know after the first couple of months.
If you do go with a pH controller, keep the original box and packaging so you can resell it after you're finished with it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store