coppersafe treatment help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

linbeg

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
i have a 30g tank treated with Coppersafe. The medication stated that the whole medication last 1 month, so I just leave the water alone. The medication also says that if I lets say do a 2g water change, the replaced water should be treated with the copper treatment. However, If water evaporation lets say 0.5 gallons, do i just add 0.5 gallons or fresh water or 0.5 gallons of fresh water with the copper treatment?

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
First of all, in order to max the effects of Cu or to minimize poisoning effects, you should have Cu test kits to keep Cu level stablized. Check the instruction sheets for proper level. If memory serves, 0.15 ppm for most fishes.

Depending on the substrates/Decos/Rocks, first full dose may not even register/reach recommended Cu level. You may need to dose in different amt again, and again to reach recommended level. Test results should give you some ideas if need to redose and/or even how much to redose with.

I am not a fan of Coppersafe but should add/replace as per test results.

Provided you have stablized Cu level, you need to replace Cu removed during wc. Again testing should tell you if you need to add more/less than what was removed.

Cu, a heavy metal, would not be removed due to evaporation thus topping off due to evaporation should not require additional dosing.

Hope all goes well!

btw, I personally think you maybe over reacting to what you may perceived as disease on GSP if this is same tank. But again, I am NOT there to assess the possible problem(s).

PICSPICSPICS?

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store