Diving Into Hoplarchus Psittacus ~ Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
This will be my journal for breeding and raising Hoplarchus psittacus aka True Parrots. These fish are by far one of the most beautiful cichlids I've ever laid my eyes on becoming more popular lately but still rare in the hobby. My stock includes 6x wild caught juvis. I have growing now were are from Jeff Rapps and were collected in Colombia. I'm also getting a pair of 6-7in Wild caught parrots from Brazil by the end of 2010. A vendor on MFK by the username Snookn21 has agreed to hook me up.
Really I'm doing this journal for myself. One to help me keep track of there growth rate and feeding habits. Two to record any spawning triggers and pre-spawning behavior. And three keep me busy. Aslo once I get these beauties grown up and paired off the remaining grow outs that haven't paired off will most likely be for sale. I'd like to mention that when I have spawns and successfully raised a few batches I'll start selling them, but I won't be posting in the classifieds. If you would like to buy some of my F1s just hit me up with a PM and I'll set you straight

I'll try to update weekly :cool:

Thank you for reading and enjoy!
Kyle

Last edited:

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
Week 1 and Arrival

Just arrived on 12/23/10. There eating already like pigs :grinno: You gota love these cichlids. Nothing beats a wild caught rare beauty!

I'm feeding them freeze dried brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, and broken up alge wafers.
Temp is at 82.4°F I'm going to raise it a little high to around 83 or 84. Parrots enjoy warmer temps in the higher 80s

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Good job.. These look good when grown def keep me in mind bro..

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
sure will pitt. I feed these guys at least 4 times a day they never stop eating! beefheart, krill, bloodworms, tubeflex, alge waffers, veggies,broken up cichlid sticks anything! They all have fat bodys now. hahaha oh well should speed there growth up a bit

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
Well lab if you want a colony some time hit me up. I'll give you a good deal once these guys start breeding I plan on keep these particular fish quite some time

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
75 for noe there only going to be 6pm and they come in tomorrow

JK47

VERITAS A?QUITAS
Sep 1, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Real Name
Justin
Congrats on the project, it's not impossible but you have your work cut out for you. I am considering getting back into Hoplarchus psittacus as well in the near future. I miss mine, once she hit 9" anything that was in the tank was dead by lights on next day. One by one.. :( When I can get a tank larger than my 300 gallon I will get back into them for sure!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store