hey guys i need some selections on brackish water fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

teigan666

AC Members
Sep 26, 2010
Peterborough Ontairo
Real Name
Teigan
i need a list and possibly pictures the tank is a marineland eclipse its a 30 gallon and its going to be brackish also i would need some stocking options also willing to make it frreshwater its a 30 tall so its about 2 feet tall thanks

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
try aqadvisor.com for freshwater.

As far as brackish goes, check with your LFS to see what they have. Don't plan to have all kinds of exotic and expensive fish, when you can't get them locally. Most sites that seel bracksih fish want tons for shipping, so it's better to order through your local fish store.

The best begginer fish for low salinity brackish are mollies and bumblebee gobies.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
As one of the folk who contributed to the creation of that section, there were several of us back in the day - I think the introduction and ecotype expansions are good, but I strongly disagreed with the stocking even that long ago. Personally I would not myself suggest most of the suggestions made by the owner of that site, and would not set such tanks myself. The one exception I would make is that I would and have set mixed tanks with F-8 puffers and bumblebee gobies. They tend to ignore the other species and the BBGs clean up after the F-8 without seeming to be in danger of being killed or eaten themselves.

Suggestions for GSPs and for Ceylons are things that I would coinsider poor to awful. IMHO and IME,both those are not fish for tank mates and are all too often under-housed seriously - along with being overfed. Neither situation is good for the fish.

In a 30 tall like yours, I would not do more than a couple pairs of BBgs with a single F-8. In a 30 long I would be much more comfortable with 2 F8s and might allow some BBG offspring to stay in the tank should they survive. We are talking about a 20-year tank setup there - to me there is no point in setting that without a good margin of safety from the extra swimming space and water volume. Fort short-lived fish, it is fine to set a short-life tank. For long-life fish, why cut corners? you get grace periods by having more flexibility in upkeep schedules and the pay-off in having a specimen who will outlive most dogs.
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/

Last edited:

teigan666

AC Members
Sep 26, 2010
Peterborough Ontairo
Real Name
Teigan
thank you for your indepth response i plan on having the tank set up for along time i just dont have the space for a 30 long thats why i've got a 30 high so what kind of puffers would you suggest cause i dont mind having it moderatly planted with it being a species only tank

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Puffers really prefer a longer footprint, so treat it as a 15g, which would be great for what I suggested above or how about some dwarf puffers They're little, so they wouldn't mind the smaller footprint.

It's going to be difficult to get light down to live plants from 2".

teigan666

AC Members
Sep 26, 2010
Peterborough Ontairo
Real Name
Teigan
ya eh but its got a marine light for deep sea so i dont think it would be a problem its a dual t-8 light so it should work fine but just give me your stocking tips and possibly some links to sites so i can see what they look like maybe research them and get to know my stuff before jumping into something that im going to regret inthe end oh and the tank was previously set-up for saltwater if that helps in anyways and for my ignorence sake im sorry to say it was 2 feet high i will get the measurements when i can but its almost 2 feet high thanks

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store