Terrible News ;)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Michigan - Indiana Border
Real Name
Russ
My 18 year old daughter, who is home on winter break from her freshman year of college, has informed me and the wife that she has a photography class 2nd semester that requires a DSLR. The level of camera that the class is requiring is a Cannon Rebel or equivalent.

My initial thought was, "man, your kids just keep on sucking all your money." But then I got an idea :naughty: ... I have been wanting to upgrade my advance compact digital camera to a DSLR for a long time and this just may be my opportunity. So, the plan is that dad buys the new camera and my daughter barrows it for the semester. And the best thing about it, the wife is on board with the plan :hi:

I have been saving my expense reimbursements from work for a couple months and I have the cash for it :thumbsup:

Here is what I am looking at....

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consu...slr_cameras/eos_rebel_t2i_ef_s_18_55mm_is_kit

What do you think?

The only down side is that I will have two weeks to play with it and then it goes to Florida with my daughter for a few months.

Russ

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
I'd check with the department offering the class.
They may have a package deal from Canon or a local dealer that could be a bargain.

For instance at UMich, the art department has a package for incoming students that costs about $3K, but it is worth over $5K.

Try not to purchase one of those NY city gray market packages advertised all over the internet. You save up front, but get hosed if you ever need service as there is no warranty.
If Target or Walmart offer the model you want, pay for the extended warranty and save the paperwork. Either will simply replace the camera or refund the purchase if they can't replace it.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I agree with dbosman..

That Canon is nice but i use the Nikon D40 in which i have the 55mm x 18mm lens that came with it but i also bought the 200mm x 55mm lens for extended shots and the warranty as well.. Man i love my camera.. Good luck neither camera is cheap..

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Real Name
Russ
I agree with dbosman..

That Canon is nice but i use the Nikon D40 in which i have the 55mm x 18mm lens that came with it but i also bought the 200mm x 55mm lens for extended shots and the warranty as well.. Man i love my camera.. Good luck neither camera is cheap..
Thanks guys, I ordered the Canon: Canon EOS Rebel T2I 4462B003 Digital SLR Camera and 18-55mm Lens - 18 Megapixels, 3.0 TFT LCD, HD Video, SDHC/SD/SDXC.

I am curious about the HD video - that should be cool. I haven't messed with videos much becuase th quality from my OLD camera was not to great.

New toy :dance: New learning curve :nilly:

Canon has a bunch of online tutorials - me and my daughter are going to start the DSLR basics today.

I bet I will miss the new camera when my duaghter goes back to school in Florida in a fe weeks. I'll have three weeks though :)

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
The XS or XSi would have been cheaper. Since you're concerned that your daughter is taking to much of your stuff ;)

That 3rd brown trout is funny looking though. At least in Maryland, they're usually less reticulated and have some more red. Couldn't really see the pattern well on the other 2.

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
Here's a couple more browns....

This guy is my biggest from my creek (20")

Here's an 18"er that my son caught.
I see you're a lot more north than maryland. Your browns seem to have tighter/more spots, less red, and not to mention your's are a lot bigger.

These are all from 2-6 years ago. Our favorite brown trout stream got ruined because the farmer like a mile upstream from our spot let something run into the water...

DSC03875.JPG

DSC02660.JPG

DSC02553.JPG
Me a few years ago ^
DSC02295.JPG

DSC02067.JPG
Little brother a few years ago ^

DSC03875.JPG DSC02660.JPG DSC02553.JPG DSC02295.JPG DSC02067.JPG

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Real Name
Russ
All trout are special :) Very nice pics with your brother! It is great to get out with family. Sorry your stream got ruined - that stinks!!!!

Take care,
Russ

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store