Protein skimmer?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

IrishMak

Don't blink
Aug 20, 2007
NH, USA
Can someone give me a brief, basic idea of what it is and what it does? I have a 29 gallon FOWLR with about 30ish lbs of live rock, 2 nano tank size pumps for water movement and a small hang on filter just to add some surface movement. I currently have a clown and a purple firefish goby in there. And a couple snails. I need to get more snails in there.

So, do I need a protein skimmer? I know a few people who have saltwater tanks, and one says "No, don't need it." The others say I'm gonna kill all my fish if I don't have one. All their tanks are nice looking and seem healthy.

I'm confused...

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Skimmers help remove waste from water which would be one reason to do water changes, so with a skimmer you would need to do less water changes in theory. That is the short answer.. long answer is there are many more variables to take into account on when to do a water change.

How a skimmer works. Think of it like soap bubbles you blow bubbles with. With soap bubbles you see rainbow colors on the surface of the bubble from the soap. With a skimmer, it creates bubbles and instead of soap sticking to the surface of the bubble, waste from the tank sticks to the bubbles which then rise and pop at the top of the collection cup, removing the waste from your aquarium water.

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
I currently do not have a protein skimmer, but, I don't have much of a bio load.

Frequent water changes can reduce the need if you don't have a large bio load as you don't seem to. They do have a purpose and I do plan on getting one down the road.

Haydn24

Boo!
Jun 28, 2010
Australia
Real Name
Haydn
Im running a 20G with LR, a few softies and will have a small bioload soon and I dont plan on running a skimmer anytime too soon.Just weekly water changes will be sufficient. Im also running a refugium to help with filtration.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
A 29 gallon is large enough to warrant a skimmer. Any skimmer is better than none. Even a used Seaclone is worth running. In my experience dealing with a lot of different customers with a huge range of experience and setup the tanks that crash for no obvious reasons usually have no skimmer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store