Light placement and canopy questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sundragon

AC Members
Dec 8, 2010
Washington, DC
I've really enjoyed getting back into the hobby since my childhood. Having a forum like this really helps with questions.

I've got a 30 Gallon X-high tank. DIY CO2, a Coralife 65w CF hood.
I tried to google some answers, but I didn't get a good answer so I'm back here.

1. I like the way Takashi Amano planted tanks have an open top, is there a reason they don't close it up?

2. Do you cover your aquarium? I have a glass versatop that I would like to use to keep down the evaporation of about an inch every week (especially with the heater going in the winter).

3. The Coralife fixture has legs, from what I understand - if I place a glass top, I need to place the light right on the glass to provide more light penetration. The light is not fixed to the glass and I feel uneasy about being able to move it around.

4. Is the light loss worth placing the light on the glass or should I just leave it on the legs hovering above the glass.

I've taken pictures with the light at different positions:
a. on legs
b. on legs with the glass
c. on the glass directly

IMG_1038.jpg DSC03240.JPG DSC03241.JPG

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
1 gives it a cleaner effect also why they often hang the lights as well
2 i dont other then my 120. it will save a ton of power by keeping the heat in if the room is cold. nothing wrong with adding a glass lid
3 you dont have to the glass will block some light more so if its dirty. you dont have to put it right on the glass if you dont wish too
4 only real way to tell is with a par meter. personally i would go what you like the best and see what happens. if you are not getting the effect you want try something different.

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
I've really enjoyed getting back into the hobby since my childhood. Having a forum like this really helps with questions.

I've got a 30 Gallon X-high tank. DIY CO2, a Coralife 65w CF hood.
I tried to google some answers, but I didn't get a good answer so I'm back here.

1. I like the way Takashi Amano planted tanks have an open top, is there a reason they don't close it up? I believe it's just for appearance, as it looks better and you probably get better light penetration, but if your talking about the same Amano I think your talking about it's all about the plants and scape and not so much the fish who can jump out without a lid. I have had it happen to me so don't think it's rare.

2. Do you cover your aquarium? I have a glass versatop that I would like to use to keep down the evaporation of about an inch every week (especially with the heater going in the winter). All my tanks are covered now.

3. The Coralife fixture has legs, from what I understand - if I place a glass top, I need to place the light right on the glass to provide more light penetration. The light is not fixed to the glass and I feel uneasy about being able to move it around. I have a coralife fixture but it's not the clear big legs it's the metal wire like legs, I try to put it on the frame of the tank but they often fall off, it's no major difference and as long as you have a glass lid it won't fall in or anything. I would suggest using the legs and setting them on the glass, the glass won't shatter or anything under the weight unless it's a really heavy fixture.

4. Is the light loss worth placing the light on the glass or should I just leave it on the legs hovering above the glass. I would use the legs, not worth getting the fixture wet from splashed water or getting the glass hot from direct contact.

I've taken pictures with the light at different positions:
a. on legs
b. on legs with the glass
c. on the glass directly
my opinion is above in bold

sundragon

AC Members
Dec 8, 2010
Washington, DC
1 gives it a cleaner effect also why they often hang the lights as well
2 i dont other then my 120. it will save a ton of power by keeping the heat in if the room is cold. nothing wrong with adding a glass lid
3 you dont have to the glass will block some light more so if its dirty. you dont have to put it right on the glass if you dont wish too
4 only real way to tell is with a par meter. personally i would go what you like the best and see what happens. if you are not getting the effect you want try something different.
Thank you for the info!

sundragon

AC Members
Dec 8, 2010
Washington, DC
my opinion is above in bold
Thank you also!

The unit had no instruction manual included so I called Coralife, and here's what customer support had to say:
There has to be a canopy between the light and the water or the warranty is void.
He also said that I can use thick rubber legs ( the kind you purchase from the hardware store to keep things from sliding) to keep the light a few mm above the glass to allow air to pass between the acrylic shield and the glass. Apparently the shield can melt and the glass can get a heat fracture over the life of the unit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store