Plants browning..Whats missing?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AngeloG

AC Members
Jan 30, 2009
Can anyone tell me why this plant is turning brown? Sometimes it looks yellowish and new growth comes in green but changes. What do I need to add? All other plants are green and fine.

plants.jpg

prober

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
eastern Washington (the state)
Real Name
Jeff
What kind of lighting do you have? How long is it on? What are the water parameters? Do you add any fertilizers now? How many gallons is the tank and how many fish?

Just off the top of my head since the other plants are all normal perhaps that one just wants more light than the others?

AngeloG

AC Members
Jan 30, 2009
55 gal with A lil over 2 wpg. Lites are on about 10 hrs . I have Seachems Phosphate,Flourish,Excel,Potassium,Phosphorus, Plant Tabs...APIs Leaf Zone. Im running DIY co2. That plant is only a few inches from the top of the tank so Im sure its gettin light.

prober

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
eastern Washington (the state)
Real Name
Jeff
Wow, beautiful tank. How is your co2 being injected? airstone to your powerfilter intake? The first thing I think of is that it may be sitting where the current does not distribute any co2 to it. Sometimes a powerhead just running across the tank will add enough extra current to evenly distribute the co2.

Left C

AC Members
Jul 21, 2005
Burlington, NC
... I have Seachems Phosphate,Flourish,Excel,Potassium,Phosphorus, Plant Tabs...APIs Leaf Zone. Im running DIY co2. ...
You have both phosphate and phosphorus mentioned. I suppose that phosphate is probably a typo and you mean F. Nitrogen.

The "browning" can occur in newer tanks and/or tanks with excess silicates. Your may have brown algae. Moderate and higher lighting with low CO2 can cause it too. You may want to get a drop checker and 4 dKH solution to check your CO2 level. Modify it as needed. You can lower your lighting period from 10 hours to 8 hours. Otos will sometimes eat brown algae. Do you have any otos? If not, get a small school of them like 6 or so.

Your yellowing is occurring in older leaves, right? This could indicate a nitrogen or phosphorus deficiency and/or some micronutrient deficiencies.

hariom's Chart

from: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...85-plant-deficiency-diagram-3.html#post528891

DGC

All in One
May 8, 2010
London
Real Name
Darrell
diatoms or lack of iron.

AngeloG

AC Members
Jan 30, 2009
Ooops! I did mean nitrogen.
Not algae... Believe it or not. I have no algae issues besides a tiny bit of green spot. The plant had some green and brown before goin completely brown.

Im using a glass difuser with my co2.

Left C

AC Members
Jul 21, 2005
Burlington, NC
The brown areas are probably what I called brown algae which is really diatoms like DGC mentioned.

Are you dosing Excel daily? Do you not have any F. Iron? It needs to be dosed daily too.

Are you otherwise dosing like this chart suggests?

Do you have Microsoft Office Excel 2003 or 2010? Or, Open Office? I've written a Seachem dosing calculator that is based on the chart below. It is easy to use. Just enter your aquarium size in gallons, hit your Enter key and it tells you how much to dose and on what days. You can move the dosing days around some, but not the dosing frequency. It is based on the Seachem dosing chart above.

Office Excel 2003 version

Office Excel 2010 version (slightly different than the 2003 version)

AngeloG

AC Members
Jan 30, 2009
Looked it up on plantfinder and I think its from lack of Nitrogen .I tested and got a reading of 5.0. Could this be right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store