T5 HO fixture for new 75G

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Buff

Former Squid
Oct 5, 2010
The Hills of NW Georgia
Real Name
Buff
I decided to post in this forum as I am currently leaning toward a FW planted community, but I haven't actually decided. I also followed Taysius' recent thread about picking a new light system.

I am in the process of acquiring components that will give me some optimal choices when I finally do get around to putting this thing together. I am also trying to be as frugal as I can, since my wonderful wife got me the tank and stand for Christmas, and it's the first time she has ever directly supported a burgeoning hobby of mine. I already have an Odyssea CFS500 filter (that may get a Gunner mod) and yeah, I'm looking at Odyssea light fixtures.

I followed this link from the other lighting thread and of course they are out of stock. I contacted aquatraders about being notified when they are back in stock and I received an email saying that a "new version" will be available by the end of January.

I'm not asking for flamers to ignite. I know about the history of ballast fires, etc. I want to hear from folks with Odyssea fixtures: What do you like and dislike about them?

Left C

AC Members
Jul 21, 2005
Burlington, NC
Is this the lighting thread? http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240785

Are you going to have pressurized CO2? 4x54w T5HO lighting on your 75g is going to give you very high lighting.

Catalina can bulb you a 2x54x T5HO fixture using one of their 8" wide 4x54w 48" chassis's with a bulb on each end of it. This will separate the bulbs for a good spread and give you less intensity. You can do this with 1 ballast or 2 ballasts. You can call them for more information and pricing. They have 6500K and pink grow bulbs. You have to specify which bulbs that you want when you order because they come with 10,000K and Actinic bulbs as stock. You can get a 6700K and 10,000K combination too. They have moonlights as well. Here is one of their 48" four bulb fixtures (they have other models too): http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/pro...=1423&osCsid=c593da7731cc0ded9b104c33170a6824

Also, you can get a 4 bulb fixture and only run the 2 outside bulbs in case you might want more lighting down the road. Catalina has a good selection of fixtures with good quality ballasts and bulbs. They will work with you on custom applications. Many people have been satisfied with their products.

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
I respectfully disagree with that being very high lighting. I'd call it medium high at best, and wouldn't worry about pressurized CO2 (though it would be great to have.) I run tanks with very high lighting without CO2 all the time and there are no ill effects.

Now as far as these lights go, when there are so many reports of issues why take the chance? There are many very reliable and easily obtainable brands so I simply fail to see any reason to take unnecessary risks.

Buff

Former Squid
Oct 5, 2010
The Hills of NW Georgia
Real Name
Buff
Odyssea Fixtures

I respectfully disagree with that being very high lighting. I'd call it medium high at best, and wouldn't worry about pressurized CO2 (though it would be great to have.) I run tanks with very high lighting without CO2 all the time and there are no ill effects.

Now as far as these lights go, when there are so many reports of issues why take the chance? There are many very reliable and easily obtainable brands so I simply fail to see any reason to take unnecessary risks.
Everything recent, that I'm reading about Odyssea fixtures, doesn't indicate any safety issues... QC/design issues yeah, but no safety issues. That's why I asked for Odyssea owners to reply about pros & cons.

Trying to talk me out of a 4 light fixture is a waste of time. A timer will allow me to finely control whatever schedule and combination of lighting I want and the fixture will give me more options down the road if I decide to go saltwater one day. That's why I am looking at the Odyssea Pro fixture. This fixture HERE.

Last edited:

Left C

AC Members
Jul 21, 2005
Burlington, NC
You should read a thread called: "PAR vs Distance, T5, T12, PC" by a person that goes by the name Hoppy. He did a lighting study measuring PAR at different distances and with various types of aquarium light bulbs with input by Tom Barr and others. You should be able to find it very easily using Google.

Left C

AC Members
Jul 21, 2005
Burlington, NC
Everything recent, that I'm reading about Odyssea fixtures, doesn't indicate any safety issues... QC/design issues yeah, but no safety issues. That's why I asked for Odyssea owners to reply about pros & cons.
From what I understand, Odyssea's many problems were with their PC/CF fixtures. Their T5 fixtures are said to not have these problems.

Trying to talk me out of a 4 light fixture is a waste of time. A timer will allow me to finely control whatever schedule and combination of lighting I want and the fixture will give me more options down the road if I decide to go saltwater one day. That's why I am looking at the Odyssea Pro fixture. This fixture HERE.
There is something that you should look at if you want a T5HO fixture. The better fixtures have individual light reflectors for each bulb and are usually more expensive too. The cheaper fixtures usually have a single reflector.

I picked up a 4 bulb T5HO fixture with individual reflectors for my 40 breeder. I'm just planning to use the two outside bulbs as a planted tank. But, like you mentioned, I do have the option to go another way if I so choose.

Buff

Former Squid
Oct 5, 2010
The Hills of NW Georgia
Real Name
Buff
"There is something that you should look at if you want a T5HO fixture. The better fixtures have individual light reflectors for each bulb and are usually more expensive too. The cheaper fixtures usually have a single reflector.

I picked up a 4 bulb T5HO fixture with individual reflectors for my 40 breeder. I'm just planning to use the two outside bulbs as a planted tank. But, like you mentioned, I do have the option to go another way if I so choose."

Yeah, I know about the individual reflectors being much more efficient.

Doubling the price of the Odyssea Pro would be cost prohibitive. I really want to see the "new version" of this fixture at the end of the month. I would have bought the last version, so I figure I'll buy the next version if it looks good and isn't a radical change... or too expensive.

Oh yeah, the link wouldn't let me in, even after registering. I guess I don't know the double-secret handshake or something...

Left C

AC Members
Jul 21, 2005
Burlington, NC
... Oh yeah, the link wouldn't let me in, even after registering. I guess I don't know the double-secret handshake or something...
Sorry about that. Here is what was in the link:

I got a great deal on a 36" Current Nova Extreme 4x39w T5HO fixture. One online store had a typo on the price. It was listed at $59.99 and the real price was $200 more at $259.99. Counting shipping I got it for $69.98. They honored my order and shipped it. I was really surprised. This is the best deal that I've gotten in a long time. It comes with Actinic and 10,000K bulbs. It does have single lamp reflectors. Tom told me to just use the two outside bulbs. That's all I need. It has two ballasts. I ordered Giesemann's Midday and Aquaflora bulbs for it since I got it so cheap.
http://current-usa.com/node/27
http://www.giesemann.de/61,2,,.html

fabsroman

AC Members
Sep 30, 2008
West Friendship, MD
You should read a thread called: "PAR vs Distance, T5, T12, PC" by a person that goes by the name Hoppy. He did a lighting study measuring PAR at different distances and with various types of aquarium light bulbs with input by Tom Barr and others. You should be able to find it very easily using Google.
Yep, that is an awesome article. It continues to have me debating between CF and T5HO. All three of my good light fixtures are PC, so I might end up staying that way, but who knows.

fabsroman

AC Members
Sep 30, 2008
West Friendship, MD

I looked at the link that you provided for the fixture you are interested in. Noticed that it only had a single cord. Every time I have seen a fixture with a single cord it has always been an ALL bulbs on or ALL bulbs off fixture. The ones with two cords allow for the bulbs to alternate. Just wondering if this is the case with the fixture you are looking at, if the time somehow controls which bulbs are on, or if T5HO fixtures are different than PC in this regard.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store