Third DIY: Overflow Box

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gujustud

AC Members
Dec 17, 2003
Richmond, BC, CAN
www.ditchmond.com
Well I finished this a while ago, but I haven't been able to get my hands on a digital camera (my bro being a prick as usual). I wanted to get pictures of it up, so I went to my last resort, using my camcorder to capture some pics, so PLEASE excuse the quality of these pictures.

All pictures located here

Incase you're wondering, I believe the size is 6x2x4", and everything was done on CNC.

2 Suction cups hold the overflow onto the back glass.

Inside view. All the teeth were milled out, using a bottlenose endmill to give it the smooth ramp. Figure this will make it less noisy when the water enters.

Now I haven't actually used this overflow yet. I don't have anything to use it with, however hopefully within the month, once my stand/sump is ready, I'll be able to try it out (I've tried the basic bathroom sink test, and it does flow water in rather quietly.

Guy W

AC Members
Apr 8, 2002
Naples, FL
I would be worried about the suctioncups failing at some point, but other than that it looks cool.

I would like to ask you for some more info on how you made the cut outs for the teeth. What tools are required to do that?

Thanks,
Guy

Gujustud

AC Members
Dec 17, 2003
Richmond, BC, CAN
www.ditchmond.com
Originally posted by Guy W
I would be worried about the suctioncups failing at some point, but other than that it looks cool.

I would like to ask you for some more info on how you made the cut outs for the teeth. What tools are required to do that?

Thanks,
Guy
Lol, yeap, that was my mistake. I'll be scraping that idea of the suction cups, after many people said its a bad idea. I should of thought about it. I'll be making some type of arm to hold it onto the side of the tank instead.

The cuts were made on a CNC machine, as I work at my dad's CNC Machine shop.

Thats one of the machines we have, along with a VF-2 (a smaller version). I used a bottlenose endmill run at 2500rpm to give it the finish. Everything is drawn up on CAD, then programmed, for the cnc machine, and its all automated on the machine.

M-pire

Foosballer
Dec 9, 2003
Lexington, Kentucky
I'm sure you could always make a jig out of wood and use a router.

We have those CNC machines here at UK. It is amazing to watch them in action!

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
Wow...that is one cool overflow box.
Lemme know if you make some headway on that CNC'd water changer:D
Robbie

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Formerly ExPeNsIvE AdDiCtIoN on MFK
Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
Haha, I took 3 years of Machine Tool Technology in college. Too bad I was into RC Cars during that time or I would have made some cool aquarium stuff lol.

a1t2o

AC Members
Sep 14, 2010
Mankato, MN
How much would that cost if I were to ask you to make me one? I would only need it to be 4x2x4. And how would you assemble the rest of it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store