Does a lid increase co2?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
So i just got a cat and because of that i decided to put a lid on my planted tank to prevent the cat from hurting future inhabitants. One thing i just noticed yesturday was that my drop checker turned yellow. I didn't change anything except put a lid on my tank and ususally the drop checker is light green but now it's yellow. So my question is does having a lid keep more co2 in the tank? is their less gas exchange?

I use the co2 mist method for my pressurized system.

sand crab

AC Members
Dec 17, 2010
It could be the glass is stopping the light wave lengths that the plant was depending on .. It could be that plant was right on the edge and the top or change was too much for it ..

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
It could be the glass is stopping the light wave lengths that the plant was depending on .. It could be that plant was right on the edge and the top or change was too much for it ..
Well i'm sure there is some diffraction from the lighting hitting the glass but i don't think that their would be enough diffraction to reduce the rate of photosynthesis to a noticeable level.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
It would be better to do nothing initially until you see a difference. The difference may be so marginal you don't see it. If you do see a difference, you could dial back slowly giving each adjustment sufficient time to show a result.

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
well the reason i ask was because the drop checker changed color to yellow and my SAE died. (He was the only fish in the tank). I know the SAE was healthy because he was in my qt tank for about 6 weeks and in my planted tank for about 4 weeks and then the day after i put the lid on the tank he dies. All the water parameters are normal and nothing else changed (supper low bioload). He also had algae wafers to supplement his diet (on top of the algae in the tank) so i don't think he died of starvation.

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm no expert but it seems like adding a little more surface agitation would be an easy thing to do to see if that shows any change on your drop checker.

Sorry to hear about your SAE. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store