Power Filter for 20 gallon tank Quiestion

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Eastside Game

AC Members
Dec 14, 2010
Hello,
I have a Tetra Whisper Power Filter EX20. Would that be sufficient for a 20 gallon tank or would i need a more powerful one? I have one male and two female swordtails, two platys, two mollies, and two tetras. Also, do you have any suggestions on how to decorate it?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
It will do with regular water changes...though I would go with an AC 50 at a minimum. Filters capabilities are at best one half their rating...

awcamp

AC Members
Mar 22, 2005
I would agree... I think this filter is rated for 10 to 20 gallons but it seems that you're usually better off to use filtration that is rated for about double what your tank capacity is. I use both a hang on as well as a canister on my 29 gallon and have had great success with it. As far as decor... just go for things you like. I've always been a fan of real plants (swords, java moss) and driftwood but there are tons of options. Just be careful about using anything from around the house or the yard as different rocks and woods can have differing effects on the ph of your water as well as general water quality. The key would be to just start simply and add to it as you go. Good luck ;)

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i agree on using an Aquaclear 50 hob on a 20 gallon tank. i always at the very least double the filtration 'rating' (and i use that term loosely! lol) for any tank.

for example:

my 2.5 gallon planted has an Elite Hush 5 hob on it (stock is one male betta, one cherry shrimp, and a few ramshorns)
my 20 gallon planted has an Aquaclear 50 hob on it (stock is 6 juvenile australian rainbows)
my 55 gallon planted has an Aquaclear 110 hob and a Penguin biowheel 350 hob on it (stocking is just under what i would consider heavy - community tank)
my other 55 gallon has a Rena XP2 and a XP4 canister on it (stock is a growing oscar and an almost full grown paratilapia polleni)

if you find the flow is too much when using a filter that is 'rated' for larger than the tank size, you can turn the flow down (if the filter model allows that capability), and you can also hang a piece of polyester batting over the waterfall area (if the filter is a hob). i've done both of these things on the Aquaclear 50 on the 20 gallon. i used a large-ish river stone to hold the batting in place, or else it will just swoosh into the tank from the water flow.

as for decorating the tank: find a nice piece of driftwood or other piece of 'hardscape' that you really like and build your tank's decor around that. it's easier to start with the big pieces and add smaller things that go with it. not sure if you want to go with live plants or fake, but live is WAY better/nicer looking.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store