Propagate Amazon Sword

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hage0245

AC Members
Dec 8, 2010
Minnesota, baby!
Real Name
Shane
So I have quite a few Amazon Swords in my 55g tropical and one is sending out a runner that is growing out of the water with 4 groups of baby plants growing on it.

I have read quite a few articles (some on this site) describing how to propagate the runners and baby plants but I am still a little confused.

Do I cut off the runner right below where the first baby plant bunch is growing, then cut the runner directly above the bunch, and plant the bunch, then repeat with every small grouping growing off the runner? Will the remaining runner continue to grow after I cut it or will it just die off? Or can I cut the runner directly below the first bunch and plant the entire runner in a "line" below the substrate? Will the runner decay below the substrate?

Any input would be great. I really like swords and it would be a shame to lose the baby plants due to improper propagation. Thanks!!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
What i've done is lay the runner with several babies along the substrate anchoring the runner near the plantlets with a small stone or 2 until the babies are maybe 2 inches & have some roots. Then snip the runner near the babies & move the plantlets if you want. Not too difficult.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store