need help with my system! bio balls? all forums are split on issue!? high nitrate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ratbigblock396

Registered Member
Dec 29, 2010
hello, i am somewhat new to saltwater. i've been reading on here about the topic of bio balls being no good. in all the forums, its split about 50/50.(i understand the points both sides make, but i have isses of my own) i was wondering if someone can just give me a direct answer of weather or not its advisable to use them in the system i have...

-125 gallon FOWLR. tank is established. been running for about a year. all water parameters are perfect except Nitrate is about 50ppm. only about 50lbs of LR right now (will get more soon). 7 medium sized fish, few snails and crabs in there doing fine.

-wet/dry filter -overflow syphon box down to a under tank wet dry. first section is a phosphate removing mechanical filter pad. directly underneath that pad is a charcoal pad also. that drips to second stage which is bio-balls. that drips to third stage which is about an 1 1/2" layer of Sea Chem DeNitrate on about 2 lbs of sintered glass. half of the glass is constantly submerged in low flow. that then goes to a small skimmer, then back to tank.

My questions are...
1. is it worth replacing bio balls with LRR? and what would be a good way of doing so since my bio balls are already established and the LRR proboly wont be.

2. IF i am to keep the bio-balls, should i have them sitting on a poly-filter pad?

3. is that portion of sintered glass thats constantly submerged with low flow enough of an anaerobic area?

4.any other tips for the system i have?

Thank you everyone for your time

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
You have a year old setup that is working so relax a bit.
Stress from worry causes all kinds of health problems. Your tank apparently isn't too stressed.

There is a reason the forums are split on the issue of bio balls. One of which is technology moves on. Another reason is some of the new filtration techniques are simply more efficient than older tech. Better? Maybe.
Another is that manufacturers are encouraging people to buy the latest product. Can you consider that some of the proponents of change, may not have paid money for their new media?

BioBalls were the best thing going, a few years and decades ago. They still work.
Are there better products on the market now? Yes.
Will they benefit your tank and filter? Maybe.
Is your Nitrate a bit high? Maybe. It more depends on how consistent it is or if its declining rather than going up over time. A marine environment is different from a freshwater environment for those fresh water folks thinking you have to bring it down NOW. A water change will drop it faster than anything else.

The bacteria we rely on for detoxifying our tanks live on every surface of the tank environment. Every surface, Every pore, every micro crevice. At least up until the micro pores and crevices get clogged.
That's why people stopped using lava rock when Bio balls hit the market. The pores get clogged. Sintered glass will eventually clog too by the way, but you can bake and burn a lot of that gunk out of glass media.
If you wish to replace your bio balls, do so a little at a time. Don't pull the entire batch if there is any place for you to start seeding the new media.

As for your Nitrate levels, there are products with chemicals to help. There are also anerobic "filter" solutions that can deal with it. The mechanical solutions are essentially a very long black tube that the water slowly flows through. It forms a breeding environment for anaerobic bacteria which eat up the Nitrate.

A simpler solution is to put a light over part of your filter or a refuge box and cultivate some of the useful "seaweeds" in it. But that would be really old technology. With no patents.

Last edited:

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
I would definitely consider swapping out the bio balls for LR. It also would be a good idea to put some macro algae in to aid in reducing the nitrate. Water changes are the fastest way to reduce nitrates and avoid using chemicals if possible.

ratbigblock396

Registered Member
Dec 29, 2010
thanks for your replies. if i decide to keep the bio balls, do you think it would be a good idea to have them sitting on a Poly-filter pad?

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
If by Poly-Filter you mean The Poly Bio Marine Inc. Poly-Filter, then my answer is going to be Maybe. Poly-Filter is capable of adsorbing a lot of things from the water. It can pull Nitrate and copper and ammonia, but it doesn't sound like you need it at present.

If you mean a sheet of polyester filter floss then the answer is that it should be on top of the bio balls to catch and trap particulates before the water gets to the bio balls. Usually this would go right under your spray bar or perforated tray.

ratbigblock396

Registered Member
Dec 29, 2010
yes, i mean the poly bio company Poly-Filter. ive read that some do good under bio balls. i already have good mechanical filtaration above the bio balls. the reason im asking is to just to see others input on it incase anyone has ever used it. you are correct, my tank conditions are for the most part fine. just that 50ppm nitrate that i mentioned im concerend with. (i am regular with 20% water changes)

Frogmanx82

AC Members
Dec 31, 2009
Add more live rock and start removing the bioballs a few at a time over the course of a few weeks. You have enough live rock that you don't need the biological activity on the balls. Move the nitrogen cycle to the live rock and you'll have less nitrates.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
If it were me the BB's would be gone BUT seeing as you have had them for a while I would remove a handful or two along with your WC's until they are gone. 50 lbs of good LR in the volume of water you have is fine and you mentioned adding a bit more. That wet dry should be clean and flowing. You will be hard pressed to bring those nitrates down if you leave them. You can add some LR to the wet dry if you want but I would not add rubble but rather good size pieces of rock that you can pull out easily and shake in your WC buckets now and then.

I would have a little filter floss/pad above the LR and change it out weekly (minimum). Do you have a skimmer? If so I would save your money on the Poly-Filter and only use it when you need it to polish. If you don't have a skimmer I would probably continue to use the PF.

Are your fish aggressive eaters?

ratbigblock396

Registered Member
Dec 29, 2010
yes i do have a skimmer. it works well. my wet/dry is clean and flows nice. my fish are somewhat aggressive eaters. they really do not leave any waste if thats what you asking...what i ended up doing was removing enough bioballs for a 4" piece of live rock to fit in and put that in there. i did this a few days ago along with the new addition of the DeNitrate on the sintered glass and nitrates are already way down. i did both at the same time so hard to tell which is the reason for the lower nitrates. as for the floss pad u mentioned putting above the bioballs/LR chamber...do you think i need it even with the sufficent mechanical filtration i have? i guess my last question would be, seeing as i already have the POLY-FILTER so the money isnt the issue, wheres the best place to put it. my filter set up in explained in the original post. thanks everyone for your promt replies!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store