Someone explain low light, high light to my plants please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
So, Ranunculus Inundatus, as we know it, is a moderate to high light plant correct? I've always kept it in my high light tanks and has done extremely well.

I moved over a couple of plants to a low light tank to prep them to sell. Needless to say, kept putting it off, putting it off, etc. Well...here are some controversial results.

First, we'll start with a high light picture:
Tiger Shrimp for reference:
PC291280.JPG

Now...look at this. This is under low light conditions. Blue Pearl shrimp for reference:
RI_LowLight.jpg

I don't know about you, but I sure like the lower ground hugging version in the low light setup.

Very interesting if I must say.

PC291280.JPG RI_LowLight.jpg

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
there are a lot of plants which people will say need high light yet can grow in lower lighting.
Yep, they usually get real leggy when growing as they try to reach for the light.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Are you doing CO2 in the low light tank? I read (but haven't done even DIY) that it can help "marginal" plants...I like the lower growth too, pretty!

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
I remember reading an article when I first started researching planted tanks that basically said that lighting requirements for plants is greatly overstated in most cases, especially when CO2 and ferts get thrown into the mix.

Does seem to be a little backwards on growing pattern though. Maybe some other factor then light between the different tanks?

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
The hight light tank does get CO2 and PMDD ferts. The low light tank .... nothing. I'll occassionally dose EI but it is minimal due to a breeding project in there.

rtbob

AC Members
Jul 22, 2010
Austin, TX
Real Name
Bob
The title off this thread is below. Since no one has actually done this I will do it.
"Someone explain lowlight and highlight to my plants please."

I will attempt explaining the light to your plants using my best impression of a Army Drill Sergeant:

All right you goat smellin lower than whale crap plants! Clean the peanut butter outa your ears and listen up!

When you are in a high light environment you best grow real good like your supposed to or I'll run your scrawny little butts around this tarmac until I GET TIRED!

And further more if you should happen to find your asses in a low light environment and you continue to grow you'll be cleaning latrines from now until you can lick the toilet seats and not puke!

DO I MAKE MY SELF CLEAR MAGGOTS? :angryfire:

yes drill sergeant :confused:

I CAN"T HEAR YOU!!!

YES DRILL SERGEANT!!! :eek3:

**** Straight, Now drop and give me 20!

Just holler this at them a few times, they'll fall in line quickly.

Last edited:

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
this might be something to add as an aside to the monthly plant discussion sticky/threads. there are plenty of plants (at least terrestrials) that go opposite of that rule and seem to grow so fast they can help but to be too tall for their own good. then, with almost minimal lighting they'll hug the ground quite well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store