Kribensis Breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LiL GinGeR

AC Members
Aug 21, 2009
Midlands, England, UK
Real Name
Katie
I have had a female krib for a few months now and today i bought a male. She is really interested in him (following him, shaking in front of him and even looking for him when she cant see him) and he seems a bit interested and shaking a bit. But he doesnt seem as eager if you know what i mean haha
Is this breeding behaviour and do they have to be able to dig in order to breed? There are 3 different choices of caves in the tank so they have plenty of choice

shadow999991

AC Members
Feb 12, 2009
i was told the eggs need pitch darkness in order to develop correctly, other than that im a blank lol

LiL GinGeR

AC Members
Aug 21, 2009
Midlands, England, UK
Real Name
Katie
oh yeah, another question... if there is only one male and one female in the tank is it likely that they'll breed or is it unlikely that they'll pair up?
thanks again :)

Treefork

AC Members
Oct 20, 2010
Northeast Indiana
pets.groups.yahoo.com
Real Name
Joe
You might ask a mod to move this to African Riverine Cichlids, might get more exposure there. Kribs are African river cichlids. Give them time. Yes, that is courting behavior. One male one female is not a guaranteed pair, but it is probable. :) I've had the best success spawning my kribs with a sandy type substrate, but they'll spawn without it. Kribs can be the Convicts of the old world cichlids given the right conditions. :) Good luck.

LiL GinGeR

AC Members
Aug 21, 2009
Midlands, England, UK
Real Name
Katie
Thanks :) there is gravel in the tank but I think that its too big for them to be able to move.
Please can a mod move this topic to the African Riverine Cichlids forum? Thank you :)

Treefork

AC Members
Oct 20, 2010
Northeast Indiana
pets.groups.yahoo.com
Real Name
Joe
How big are they? I have some young adults that will pick up the small gravel and spit it out. Fills his whole mouth. Never know. If they find a cave they particularly like they'll spawn. They lay the eggs on the ceiling or walls of the cave anyhow. No real need to dig unless they want to excavate a little better cave.

LiL GinGeR

AC Members
Aug 21, 2009
Midlands, England, UK
Real Name
Katie
They are what I think would be nearly fully grown, so i see what you mean :) hopefully theyll be strong enough haha

LiL GinGeR

AC Members
Aug 21, 2009
Midlands, England, UK
Real Name
Katie
Oh thats good, I just bought some yesterday :) Thank you with all the help :)
If anyone still has any tips on breeding them then Id be really grateful :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store