question new to cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

melissadotson

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
parkersburg wv
i asked this question on a another forum and they said i might try here...my question is i have a 55 gal. and i want to redo it with yellow labs..what else could i put in there with them? other types of cichlids? bottom feeders? ect... any suggestions would be great...and thanks for the info...

fishguychris

AC Members
Nov 7, 2010
bristlenose plecs for bottom feeders
6 corys
and 3-4 otos
im not sure on my chilids sorry

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Michigan - Indiana Border
Real Name
Russ
i asked this question on a another forum and they said i might try here...my question is i have a 55 gal. and i want to redo it with yellow labs..what else could i put in there with them? other types of cichlids? bottom feeders? ect... any suggestions would be great...and thanks for the info...
Yup, lots of cool fish to choose from and most will get along too (my choices are in bold):

Labidochromis caeruleus - Yellow Lab, Electric Yellow
Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Msuli) - Yellow Tail Acei
Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos- Maingano
Pseudotropheus socolofi (Albino) - Albino Pindani
Metriaclima estherae (Red) - Red Zebra
Aulonocara jacobfreibergi "Eureka" - Eureka Peacock
Pseudotropheus saulosi
Iodotropheus sprengerae - Rusty Cichlid
Pseudotropheus flavus – Dinghani

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Cory cats don't mix well with mbuna, but a BN pleco should be fine. Yellow Lab's are pretty mellow for mbuna, would mix very well with maingano if you want blue with the yellow. I have a couple extra male ruby red peacocks and Tramitochromis intermedius available if you want even more color.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
If you want yellow labs, do an all mbuna tank with a total of 4 species of this kind of cichlids. The lesser aggressive mbuna species are:
Yellow labs, Pseudotropheus acei, Iodotropheus sprengerae (rusty cichlid) and Cynotilapia afra of any variant. You can substitute the afra with the Maingano (Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos). Add 5 fishes of each of the 4 species you choose.

chris521957

AC Members
Nov 6, 2010
Preston, Lancs
Real Name
Chris
Hey blue, I thought about demasoni but thought the Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos- Maingano might be better because both the male & females are blue?
\\\\demasoni are both blue too. 55gal is not really big enough for more than 2 species of mbuna. I would go with the lab/dem mix, as said above. 6/7 labs and 12/15 dems. If your water perams are right without buffering, then try to get black substrate, it will really bring out the colours of this stunning combination. If you need to buffer your water, then use coral sand in your filter.

rtbob

AC Members
Jul 22, 2010
Austin, TX
Real Name
Bob
As far as bottom feeders go I have an African Featherfin Catfish and a Striped Raphael Catfish in with my Cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store