Science fair project with multies???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
Ok, so for science fair this year, I was thinking about doing a science fair project with multies. You probably inferred that from the title.

Anyway, I want to do an experiment to see which type of shell they prefer to live and/or breed in. I'd use a 10g or 20 Long maybe. I might even move my puffer to a smaller tank and use the 36 for multies...

Anyway, I'd use an equal amount of each shell (Whales eye, Delphinula, Babylonia Spirata, PVC "shell") and see how many of each are inhabited and how many of each are bred in.

That's about all I have planned. Any tips? Thanks..

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Sounds like an intresting project! Keep us updated.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
My only concern, scientifically speaking, is that normally the fry are pretty much nonexistent until suddenly you realize that they bred. Maybe that's just my experience based on how unobservant I was but it would be something to take into account. By the time you notice fry some other factor may have influenced survival, not just how shell type affects breeding.

I would also recommend using Neothauma shells since that's one snail species found in Lake Tang itself.

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
I don't see any problem with the experiment. You line up a row of shells, add the fish and observe what they do. You will get some result, even if it's "They don't care what sort of shell they live in", that's still a valid result.

Jazz it up with pictures of the fish and fry, and some fancy powerpoints and pie graphs, and you are all good.

The thing about School science experiments is not that you prove your theory correct, it's that you conduct the experiment in a scientific manner, and get some sort of result. Wether it fits the original theory or disproves it isn't the point, it's that you did the experiment and got some results.

Your plan is good, as either way, the fish will be OK, as opposed to those crap "bio-sphere" things they usually suggest. The Multies may live in the white shell, or the brown shell. They may breed, or not. But they shouldn't drop dead.

Carry On :)

Ian

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
you could time them for how long they last out of water.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Seriously though, why not divide it (only if a 20 long or bigger) and see if the diffferent colonies share similar results.

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Michigan - Indiana Border
Real Name
Russ
Sounds fun!

How about three ten gallon tanks with everything exactly the same:
#1) One kind of shell
#2) Another kind of shell
#3) Control group with no shells

You must be precise with everything: light, mainteance, feedings, substrate and placement of shells. You can address the variables in your conclusion.

Russ

woolfam

AC Members
Dec 8, 2008
Sounds like a good idea!

Just an FYI - science projects that involve vertebrates are subject to some extra regulations. Typically, your hypothesis and research plan have to be reviewed and approved by a Scientific Review Committee at your school. They should be familiar with the additional guidelines. SEE HERE.

I taught science and have judged science fairs. The projects that stand out to a judge are the ones that are well-planned, carefully carried out, and WELL-DOCUMENTED. Keep a neat, detailed log book that tells what you observed over the course of the study.

Whether or not your results are what you expect is not as important as is your ability to carefully carry out the plan and then be able to present your findings in a way that the judge can understand exactly what you did. (See ianab's post above.)

Science projects are not about the results. They are done so the student can learn how to 1) use a scientific approach to solve a problem, 2) document their progress, and 3) present their findings in a clear and inviting manner.

Sounds fun!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store