CO2 & lighting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
Goodmorning everyone!I have a quick question here.Im looking into light fixtures for my 75,and have been reading up and Im a little confused.If you have a brite light you really dont require CO2?Then on the otherhand if you have a dim light you need it? Im confused here....can anyone clarify this for me?

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
well....its a confusing topic. but on the basic level you have it backwards.
In general low light requires no co2. high light requires co2.
A little more specifically, plants will always benefit from the addition of co2 in a planted tank no matter how much light there is (low or high). The plants uptake depends on available light, available co2 and available nutrients. If one runs out, plant growth is limited. CO2 is the limiting factor of plant growth because of the minimal amount that is naturally present in an aquarium. Aquariums reach their equilibrium and settle at about 2-3PPM of co2. An aquarium that has co2 injection is targeted to have 25-35 (30 is ideal) PPM co2.

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
Okay! Thanks for the headsup.I want to get a light that will grow anything.A buddy of mine gave me his RedSea pro CO2 kit and would like to see it put to good use.I must say I need to do more reading..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store