hood with t5

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mroth_3

shrimp boat captain
Dec 24, 2008
Iowa
I'm setting up a 40 breeder and am considering doing a custom hood/canopy. I intend for it to be planted moderately dense. I also do not want to use a glass top so the hood will be enclosed on all four sides but vented through the top. Quite frankly, I'm sick of the condensation that accumulates and permanent water marks that seem to impede the light.
I'm leaning toward buying a t5ho ballast and wiring it for 2 39w bulbs-one of the purplish grow lights and one daylight. I'd considered going T8 or CFL. I'm not keen on using a T8 when a more efficient tube is available and CFL doesn't distribute the light well, so i'm fairly set on T5.
Now for the questions-- What is a decent yet budget priced t5 ballast brand/source? The price range on them seems to be extremely variable. I would assume it is somewhat proportional to quality. Is there any problem with just screwing them on the outside of the hood, either on the side or back, or do they need some type of enclosure? I don't believe it would be exposed to water in either of those places and I would certainly make outer resistant connections.
Thanks in advance for the input.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
There aren't any cheap T5HO ballasts, but prices have dropped from very expensive to reasonable. A year ago you would have been looking at $40.00. Today you can spend around $25.00.

The first place to shop is your local electrical wholesaler. Most retail, when they aren't busy selling to electricians. If the parking lot is full, they won't want to be answering questions. Stop in around ten or one. Go with one of the name brands such as Advance, Philips, Sylvania, Fulham or what ever they recommend.

For a specific ballast, for 2x39 watt T5HO a Workhorse 5 is what Fulham suggests.
That runs $23.12 on Amazon.

Online, reefgeeks is or has been a reputable seller and willing to answer questions.

Now, rather than cobbling your own, check out your local hydroponics shop. They sell single strip T5HO units from Sun Blaze or Helios that have good reflectors, that can simply be screwed into your wooden hood.

mroth_3

shrimp boat captain
Dec 24, 2008
Iowa
There aren't any cheap T5HO ballasts, but prices have dropped from very expensive to reasonable. A year ago you would have been looking at $40.00. Today you can spend around $25.00.

The first place to shop is your local electrical wholesaler. Most retail, when they aren't busy selling to electricians. If the parking lot is full, they won't want to be answering questions. Stop in around ten or one. Go with one of the name brands such as Advance, Philips, Sylvania, Fulham or what ever they recommend.

For a specific ballast, for 2x39 watt T5HO a Workhorse 5 is what Fulham suggests.
That runs $23.12 on Amazon.

Online, reefgeeks is or has been a reputable seller and willing to answer questions.

Now, rather than cobbling your own, check out your local hydroponics shop. They sell single strip T5HO units from Sun Blaze or Helios that have good reflectors, that can simply be screwed into your wooden hood.
I'll have to look a little harder for a decent shop. I've checked out all the hardware stores with in 40 miles and all they have is t8 and t12 ballasts. I highly doubt we have a hydroponics shop anywhere near...or even in the state. I'll google it and see what I come up with. I just dont want to drop $150 bucks for a legged fixture (all the shops around here have) when it isn't going to fit well in a canopy. 34" bulbs in an enclosure seem to be over 36" once assembled. I also tried to find a generic shop light type, but again with no luck. Thanks for the ballast suggestions!

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Infinite Season
3802 East 14th Street
Des Moines, Iowa

I'm guessing, that Ames being a college town probably has a hydroponics supply shop somewhere.
For T8 shop lights you have to cut down a T8 4 foot fixture. But it's still T8.

For a nice strip light, Just as an example, I've never dealt with this company.
http://www.growlightexpress.com/flu...ter-t5-fluorescent-strip-light-3-ft-1148.html

"Sun Blaster T5 Fluorescent Strip Light 3 ft has a built in electronic ballast provides instant starting with no flickering. They are made from durable aluminum housing. The Sun Blaster T5 series fixtures includes 6500° K full spectrum lamp that lasts up to 10,000 hours." $30.45.

You'd have to purchase the 4 foot reflector at $17.95 and cut it down as all they sell are 2 foot and 4 foot.

If the strip is too long, fit it diagonally.

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
Last edited:

mroth_3

shrimp boat captain
Dec 24, 2008
Iowa
Hey guys, thanks a bunch for the info! I searched for a good hour and I didn't find any other shops within 2 hours. Apparently we have a hookah bar in Ames now. I checked out infinite seasons website and they dont have 3ft fixtures listed but they have 4 footers for $120. I'm going to call or stop by tomorrow. If they dont have 3 footers for a reasonable price, I am probably going to ordering online. Those fixtures you guys listed aren't much more expensive than some of the ballasts I've been looking at. Given the price, I probably wouldn't have even taken a second look without a recommendation. Thanks again!!

mroth_3

shrimp boat captain
Dec 24, 2008
Iowa
I stopped by the hydroponics shop and they actually had some of those lights mentioned above for $30. That shop is awesome. I want to start into that hobby now. Anyway, I built a hood and put the lights into it. Few complications along the way-may rebuild it down the road but it works for now. The cords plug into the ends of the lights so a 36" hood isn't ideal. I built the stand earlier in the week.

I moved a bunch of crypts over from 2 old 15's they had a severe meltdown. I bet I lost at least 95% of the leaves. Any idea what causes this? Water was the same temp and half of it was from the previous tanks... I've never had this happen outside of shipping.

DSC_0001 (2).JPG DSC_0003 (2).JPG

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
Its normal for Crypts to melt when you move them around. Theyre heavy root feeders so they like to have a nice root system.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Just don't mix hydroponic herb growing and guns in the same house. Your safe is showing.
Could be lethal to the home owner during the to be expected, raid.

The hydroponics store in my area has been in business for almost 30 years. I remember visiting one time (about twenty nine years ago) looking at metal halides for salt water tanks, and seeing a marked police car across the street - apparently taking down license plate numbers. At least imtimidating people.

The hydroponics store is also a great source of light bulbs and substrate materials.

mroth_3

shrimp boat captain
Dec 24, 2008
Iowa
Ha I hear ya. The guy that owns it has some AMAZING orchids and peppers going. Doubt it pays off using (12) 4ft 96watt vho T5's, though. His orchids are stunning. Guess he sells wholesale to some of the local flower shops.

A couple of the folks that walked in were a bit on the dodgey side, but on that side of town the cops have a lot bigger worries. Thanks a bunch for the heads up on that shop. I never would have come across it had you not made the suggestion. They have a lot of stuff that could easily be adapted to the aquaria hobby.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store