low light and CO2?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Phyroath

Senior knowledge seeker
Jan 30, 2008
Phnom Penh
Hi everyone,

After going high light for while I decided to setup a low light tank under 2w/g and I am not sure if I should have CO2. I have moss and anubias but I also want to keep a few other plants. I am with DIY CO2 and it has been troublesome so far.

Picture 003.jpg Picture 004.jpg

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
What size tank is it? What type of lighting (T12, T8, T5, T5HO, etc.)?

I was never all that fond of DIY and in my case it proved to be more trouble than it was worth. There is certainly nothing wrong with not having CO2 in some instances, especially if you felt that the plants were still healthy before adding it. None of the plants that you seem to have are all that picky anyways...

Then again if you're really looking for a boost then it may be in your best interest to invest in a pressurized system. I don't have any experience myself but I've only heard good things about them!

Phyroath

Senior knowledge seeker
Jan 30, 2008
Phnom Penh
Thanks Jpappy, it is my 55. I am having 3x18w (6500K) CFL and and 1x25w (10000K). I am having GSA all over the tank. I think it is because of the DIY CO2 but I feel reluctant to not having it.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
It never hurts to inject CO2 regardless of low light conditions. Your plants will thank you for it. As for the GSA, check your phosphates. It's not your CO2 or lack there of that is causing that.

Phyroath

Senior knowledge seeker
Jan 30, 2008
Phnom Penh
I will try both methods. It is quite annoying when GSA is on Anubias. Thank you all.

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
Up your phosphates to help take care of your gsa. it is a common myth that you need low phosphates....but high phosphates tend to promote great growth and make gsa go away.

co2 will help in high light, low light and no light. it is always a great addition.

Phyroath

Senior knowledge seeker
Jan 30, 2008
Phnom Penh
I went with PMDD pre-mixed then moved to EI and I got GSA. I add 1/2 tsp of phosphate for 2 days now. Plants seem to be happy, hopefully GSA goes away. I could not find nerites at my LFS. Let me try Phosphate first. My moss becomes dirty, can I bleach dip the moss? Anyway thank you Coach.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store