Healthy Angelfish with stuff hanging from his fins - keeps going away and coming back

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sundragon

AC Members
Dec 8, 2010
Washington, DC
So here goes:

Seemingly healthy tank and fish.

I have an Angelfish that acts "normal" yet displays the weirdest symptoms: Weird stuff (see pictures) that hangs from his/her fins. Comes every 3 weeks or so and goes all by itself in approx 24 hours, but keeps coming back. This has been happening since I purchased the fish (6 months ago).

Angelfish rarely flashes, the only one who does this.

I showed pictures to owner of the LFS and he said it looks like slime coat is shedding, nothing serious... I've never seen nor heard this.

In the last 3 months treated the tank with Melafix (does it really do anything ?) and Maracyn Two and obviously nothing, cuz it's back...

Now here's the rest per the requirements of this forum...

"Basic" Questions

1. What is the size of your tank? 30G X-high

2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used.
Ammonia=0
Nitrite=0
Nitrate=0
pH=6.8
KH=3 degrees
Tested with API liquid test kits ( tested every 3 days, no fluctuations other than pH 6.6-6.8)

3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?
Fresh, aquarium salt is added when water is changed - per instructions on box.

4. How long the aquarium has been set up?
6 Months

5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
1 Angel (6 months)
2 Clown loaches (5 months)
8 Neon Tetras (3 months)
1 Hillstream loach (3 months)
2 Otos (2 weeks)

All super healthy, eating, swimming, no issues, Hillstream chases the otos, but he/she gives up after he loses site of the territory offending oto.

6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?
No

7. What temperature is the tank water currently?
77 Degrees

8. Are there live plants in the aquarium?
Lots of live plants, growing with DIY CO2 currently, all pearling and growing for the most part.

9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.
Aquaclear 50 (1 month)
Foam/carbon/Bio and a Seachem Purigen 100g sack (I will be replacing carbon per schedule and using Purigen instead)

10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?
DIY CO2 with two yeast generators and a Hagen ladder, 100W heater.

11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?
approx 30 min a day on one corner

12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?
7 days ago, I do it weekly, replacing 20% of the water.

13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?

2x day

AM feeding: (variation of the following - NOT all of them at the same time) Tetramin flakes, crisps, tropical granules, HBH super soft krill pellets.

PM Feeding: Hikari frozen blood worms.

14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?

Everyone exhibits "normal behavior" for their species... All eat, all swim, they sing kumbaya...

Angelfish rarely flashes, the only one who does this.

And the weird stuff (see pictures) that hangs from his/her fins. It lasts a total of one day. Comes every 3 weeks to a month and goes all by itself in approx 24 hours... Has been happening since I purchased the fish.

15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.

In the last 3 months treated the tank with melafix and Maracyn Two and obviously nothing...

IMG_0799.JPG IMG_0800.JPG IMG_0816.JPG IMG_0818.JPG IMG_0831.JPG IMG_1096.JPG

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
looks like it could be bacterial or a fungus. IME that white 'stuff' happens when water quality is not up to par. although your ammonia/nitrite are zero, your nitrates should be showing some reading (i don't think your plants are using up all the nitrates in that size tank with that size bioload). plus there are other parameters that most test kits don't account for, like TDS (total dissolved solids) and DOC (dissolved organic compounds).

i'd up your water change amount some, maybe try for 40 to 50% weekly.

if the fish is flashing that could indicate parasites, and the 'white stuff' could be a secondary symptom.

sundragon

AC Members
Dec 8, 2010
Washington, DC
looks like it could be bacterial or a fungus. IME that white 'stuff' happens when water quality is not up to par. although your ammonia/nitrite are zero, your nitrates should be showing some reading (i don't think your plants are using up all the nitrates in that size tank with that size bioload). plus there are other parameters that most test kits don't account for, like TDS (total dissolved solids) and DOC (dissolved organic compounds).

if the fish is flashing that could indicate parasites, and the 'white stuff' could be a secondary symptom.
I thought the same thing about bacteria/fungus, and I agree on the nitrates, but I test regularly, with the same results. What's puzzling is that the slime/white mucus goes away after a day, and I've treated the tank with antibiotics and Melafix in the past. None of the other fish display the symptoms.

Is there a way to test for TDS and DOC?

sundragon

AC Members
Dec 8, 2010
Washington, DC

I read online that I should shake the nitrate test bottle #2 for 2 minutes instead of the required 30 seconds before adding it to the water sample. The article stated that may be the reason for the low reading. I'll do that on Sunday when I get back as well.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
I just left for the New Year, I'll be back on Sunday and I'll take some shots. Most of it was already gone this morning.
I was asking about pics of fish last time when it happened for comparison.

Anyway, Have a safe Holiday to all!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
regarding the API nitrate test, i follow the directions on the test, and maybe shake for a few seconds longer than 30 seconds for bottle #2, and i might shake the vial for just a few seconds longer than a minute. never had a false reading.

sundragon

AC Members
Dec 8, 2010
Washington, DC
regarding the API nitrate test, i follow the directions on the test, and maybe shake for a few seconds longer than 30 seconds for bottle #2, and i might shake the vial for just a few seconds longer than a minute. never had a false reading.
Happy New Year!

Back and I took reading of the water and took a few more pictures.

pH 6.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
GH 3

I did the shake the 2nd Nitrate bottle for 1 minute and the above results.
The fish appears healthy ate and nothing hanging from it.

I am totally open to it being an opportunistic infection that hits when the water quality is low. I had a fine leaf plant that died and I've been cleaning bits of it from the tank.

What should I treat the water with to make sure it goes away permanently?

Thanks,

S

IMG_1127.JPG IMG_1123.JPG IMG_1120.JPG IMG_1114.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store