Guarding eggs/fry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Michigan - Indiana Border
Real Name
Russ
One of my calvus moms guardings eggs/fry.

She can't hide in the back of the tank anymore with the new camera :D

Altolamprologus calvus black congo white pearl

Russ

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Real Name
Russ
if i was you i would take those eggs andraise them yourself then let them grow up in a comun tank
Hey Chucky,

The current batches that I have been raising are getting close to saleable size and have been spoken for; so, I have started collecting the next set of batches to raise.

Here's the current batch

I started the next batch last week with 37 fry from one female. Mega mom pictured above usually produces 150+ fry. Counting Mega mom, there is at least one more female that I think to be guarding eggs/fry and any fry from them will going into the next batch.

I may take a few and grow them out????

Thanks,
Russ

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Stunning! Great shot of a gorgeous fish.

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Real Name
Russ
I went down strairs this morning to feed the fish before work and I discovered some fry swimming outside of the shell pictured above :y220d:

I extracted the shell with mom in it and dumped it, repeatedly, into the 10 gallon nursury tank. Many fry and mom came out. I kept dumping the shell to try to get all the fry. I scopped mom up and put her back in the breeding tank. This mom ("Mega Mom" usually produce batches close to 150 fry). No clue how many she had this time (it was a decent brood though). I have one more female guarding eggs and I'll dump her fry in the 10 gallon tank too. Any future batches will be a treat for the main tank resdients.

The older group of fry should ship out in a month, then I'll just have one big batch of calvus fry and I won't try to keep any other fry until those have committments. otherwise, you get overrun with fry.

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Real Name
Russ
Altolamprologus calvus black congo white pearl

Momma is out and about now that she has nothing to guard. She is my least shy fish which is good for the camera. She also, just may be, my best looking calvus. She has the largest pearls of the group. I got this picture of her at feeding time tonight - I really liked it. Hope you don't mind all the pics :)

Altolamprologus calvus black congo white pearl - wild female

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Real Name
Russ
hay razzo where did u get ur fish from man they look good
I have a friend who has been a long time importer who kept me informed on what he was bringing into the country and I would "get the early jump" on any new fish I was interested in. He has really taken care of me. I'd love to refer you to him but he retired this year due to some health problems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store