The most economic approach to lighting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Skyorange

AC Members
Nov 14, 2010
Hey! I'm setting up a 29 gallon tank, and this time around I'm Interested in making it a planted tank

Right now I'm looking at lighting fixtures with 4 30+ watt bulbs (2 10k 2 actinic), but they consistently seem to be in the asking range of 300$

Is there possibly a cheaper but equally effective route to take when purchasing the lights?

and I don't mean THE most economic approach, just something more affordable or even affirmation that a 300$ fixture is a wise investment

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
..go to walmart..homedepot..anyplace go to there lighting department and pick up two bar lights..(like shop lights....kitchen lights)....i have 2 25 wts on the top of my tank(one blue one red)....i can grow just about anything in it (20 gallon)
its getto...i know and i have a fan on mine for my cold water tank...but if you dont mind how it looks....cheapest way to go.

Walmart sells 3 foot fixtures that just plug in for about 10$...just get the bulbs you want for it...i do believe the come with one as well....^_^ just what i do being poor and all.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
Hey! I'm setting up a 29 gallon tank, and this time around I'm Interested in making it a planted tank

Right now I'm looking at lighting fixtures with 4 30+ watt bulbs (2 10k 2 actinic), but they consistently seem to be in the asking range of 300$

Is there possibly a cheaper but equally effective route to take when purchasing the lights?

and I don't mean THE most economic approach, just something more affordable or even affirmation that a 300$ fixture is a wise investment
what do you want to grow? on my 29 i have a 55w fixture from ahsupply. you could also look into a fixture from fishneedit.com another option would be to put 3-4 of those cfl bulbs over the tank. all 3 options will be cheaper then $100. the cfl would be the cheapest option.

Skyorange

AC Members
Nov 14, 2010
If I can get a 3ft fixture for 10$ this sounds like what I'm looking for.
But do I need the fan if my tank is run at 77F?

Skyorange

AC Members
Nov 14, 2010
what do you want to grow? on my 29 i have a 55w fixture from ahsupply. you could also look into a fixture from fishneedit.com another option would be to put 3-4 of those cfl bulbs over the tank. all 3 options will be cheaper then $100. the cfl would be the cheapest option.
I'm looking to grow hardier plants right now (java fern, amazon sword, the easy stuff)
And thanks for the recommendations, I'm checking out ah and fishneedit atm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store