Algae and Param Check

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OgreMkV

Father of Earth's Next Emperor
Apr 26, 2007
Port Arthur, TX
ogremkv.wordpress.com
Hi guys, I need a second opinion. First, I've been really bad and not checked my chemistry in a couple of months.

Current parameters
Nitrites < .3 (test only has that as lowest)
Nitrates 0
Calcium between 250-300
Magnesium 1300ppm
kH = 9
pH = 8.1
PO4 = 0

Currently, I've got the koralia, an aquaclear powerhead, and an aquaclear 70 HIB filter with two phosphate absorbing pads in it. I have a skimmer, a Tunze, but it rarely collects very much, I think the tank is just too clean for skimmate to form.

What else, Oh, I've got LEDs that are less than a year old. 160W worth, 2-30 watt LED spots, 13 3W whites and 13 3W actinic bulbs. The spots are about 15,000K and the 3W whites are about 8000K.

Dosing is, I use two tablespoons of Seachem reefbuilder alkalinty (not the 8.3 version) mixed into a gallon of RO, that gets used up in about two days worth of top off. I top-off at night and then add 5ml of calcium (Kent Marine Liquid Calcium) in the morning. I occasionally replace the calcium with 5ml of Kent Essential Elements when the magnesium gets low.

I'm having major algae issues. My koralia and pump intake will clog in a few days if I don't keep on them. I'm getting a little bit of the nasty slimy hair algae, but only in the outflow of the koralia.

I've got green puffy algae (like cotton balls) all over the koralia, the other powerhead and on the glass near the other powerhead.

I was trying to keep some pretty macro algae to consume nutrients from the other algae, but it's turning white and dying off (I suspect lack of calcium, which, for some reason is a stone ***** to maintain in my tank).

I have lost a yellow clown goby recently. I don't know if he's just hiding or dead, never found a body, but that's not too surprising with the tank. The other fish are healthy, though the tail-spot blenny seems to be hiding some as well and not coming out to eat, though I see him peck at the algae wall.

I've got SPS that are doing very well, zoas and softies are doing very well, everything appears healthy.

I don't even want to talk about the bubble algae.

Any advice?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I'd use C-Balance or something similar over the products you are currently using. The Kent Essential Elements is fine to use weekly. You definitely should try to get the calcium up to around 400-420, ideally.
Have you tried carbon dosing?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
[YT]9BM68GMf8q4[/YT]

Personally, I use Florin-Axis made for planted tanks. Macro algae definitely benefit from it, as well.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
You also could look into using Bio-pellets in a reactor.
The nuisance algae is feeding on something in your tank even though your test readings show very little nitrate and PO4.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store