Angels in a hex tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcybyk

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
A friend gave me a hexagonal tank that based on the measurements is about 28 gallons - is is 18" across and 21" tall. My daughter is dying for angel fish. Would this tank work for one or two angels? Also, what else would you stock the tank with? Any other suggestions?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I would try 1 angel or a MATED pair, it's not a very big footprint tank. You could have a small (6-ish) school of harlequin rasboras or a shoal of corys too...that's pretty much it in a hex, not the best tank shape.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
The usual advice is to get around 6 angels as babies, dime sized or so. Let them grow up together and see which ones pair off. This will take several months, giving you time to figure out what to do with the others you are not going to keep as adults. :)

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i personally would say no to having even a single angel in that size tank, especially if it's a hex. just not enough swimming space for an angel IMO.

i've kept angels in standard 55 gallon tanks (4 foot length) and trust me, they utilize and enjoy all that swimming room. with a hex all they can really do is swim up and down, not so much side to side.

why not see if your daughter is interested in one of the small to medium sized gouramis? i know they don't really look like angels but that would be a much more preferable centre-piece fish for a 29 hex.

mcybyk

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Thanks all.

Betta - I also have a 20 gallon long tank that I may setup instead, since the hex tank came with filter, heater, etc. I may steer her towards a small community tank with a gourami as the centerpiece, since that is her second favorite fish right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store