China Wrasse

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I picked up a couple new fish today. One of them being a China Wrasse, the other being a baby (1") normal Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon meleagris) which went to "bed" in the sand after I let him go, which is normal for leopards so no picture of the super tiny girl today.

China Wrasse

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
I think so as well. ;) I saw them for the first time about a year ago at my LFS but they were not that common, but common enough that I could ask for one and I could get it within a month. Problem was my LFS was not having much luck keeping them alive/eating so I never got one. I saw one today at a different LFS and it was very active and hunting around the tank and it ate food in front of me so I grabbed it right away. Floated it/acclimated it in my tank and let it go and it has been acting great since it went it. Hunting and picking at the rocks and swimming around really good without anyone bothering it so I an hoping I got a good one. :)

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Nice fish!

jcole

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
Ace, you seem to be very well versed in the keeping of the wrasse. I 'm very interested in them as well. I only have one in my 29gal. I also have a 55 gal.How many can be safely kept in a 55gal? I know there are various sizes and temperments. Just interested in the smaller type.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
I would say in a 55G the Flasher/Fairy wrasse family is the best option. Probably the most jumpy of the wrasses though. You can do a couple leopard wrasses as well but those are considered "Expert" fish, although the term expert can mean a lot of things. I think in the terms they are using it means your tank is well established and you have a firm grasp on the requirements for the fish.. other than that there isn't a whole lot you can do other than try and cross your fingers. Stay away from Coris wrasses, even most Halichoeris can be a little on the agressive side compared to flasher and leopard wrasses.

As for a guess on a total.. I would say 4-6 wrasses in a 55G if they are suitable tankmates.

jcole

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
Thanks for the quick response. I do like the flasher and will most likely add one in the near future.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
They are cool fish but they hide in the rocks a lot.. they don't like to be out in the open like most other wrasses. That is my observation from seeing them in other peoples tanks locally.

Even though they will eat introduced fodder, I think it is still best to house them in a tank with live substrate because they are so reclusive (especially when first added to a tank) and prone to being dominated by tankmates.
Putting one in with clowns probably would not be the best choice IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store