Tanganyikans for this tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
Ok, so pretty soon I will convert my 36g puffer tank to a lake Tang tank. I'm definitely going to have a colony of multies, but what are my other options cichlid-wise. I really like N. pulcher/brevis. Woudl they eat multie fry though?

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
In a tank that size, I would not add another shellie (as brevis are) with the multies. I also wouldn't add N. pulcher; they are too aggressive and they may end taking the whole tank for themselves. IMO, your best setup would be one with shells on one side for the colony of multies and rocks on the other side for a breeding pair of Julidochromis transcriptus. Let's see what other friends here think.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Any tank less than 4' wide simply doesn't have enough floorspace for more than one species of substrate spawner. Multi's are colonial fish, something like the brichardi complex species or even Julies, where the older fry will help defend the smaller ones. Eventually the maturing young males will want their own territories while the females establish their own pecking order, but the entire bottom of the tank will be taken over sooner or later and you'll need to move some of them out.

Haydn24

Boo!
Jun 28, 2010
Australia
Real Name
Haydn
I agree with efors... You *could* try some princesses, even the daffidols... Easily one of the most elagant cichlids...

Haydn24

Boo!
Jun 28, 2010
Australia
Real Name
Haydn
Or even lelupei, but they may be too aggressive, dependant on the fish. And I should note that you will need rock work if you want to keep another species and it may not work..

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
^.
Also, a colony of multi's would probably work best for that setup. Plus they're super amusing to watch interact with with one another.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I agree with efors, transcriptus would work. I have a 36 bow with a colony of marlieri, which would also work.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store