Fertilizers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Plague

O.o
Aug 4, 2010
Miami, Fl
So I have a 55 gallon 108w T5HO planted tank.

Plant list:
amazonian swords (2)
melon sword
water wisteria (4 stalks)
ludwigia (6 stalks)
java fern
anubia wrinkle leaf
and next week dwarf hair grass which I hope to carpet the bottom of my tank

I ran out of an Iron supplement I was using. Originally I bought it because I was having an iron deficiency in my previous ten gallon when I had it running. Once I switched to flourish and the 55 gallon I kept using it just to use it.

My question is do I need to use an iron supplement? I use flourish and excel. I'm not trying to get an award winning planted aquarium but I do want the plants to keep their nice colors. My ludwigia's have a very nice blood red after I dose the tank. Wondering if this will keep happening without dosing iron? I also saw that you can buy potassium and nitrogen from seachem. Wondering if I need this at all? Thanks for the help. BTW my tank has been running for 6 months like this. =P

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Flourish comp has iron, I believe, although I am not sue if it would technically be enough.

IMO, if you are considering running the flourish line (NPK + micros) then you might as well get bulk dry ferts. Much more economical and just as easy to dose.

Plague

O.o
Aug 4, 2010
Miami, Fl
I'm not sure if the ludwigia would benefit from dry ferts though. They have very shallow roots. I'm also using eco complete so I originally thought I wouldn't need iron. Thing is, I only dose once a week because that is what my plants need. But around the end of the week my ludwigia lose the red color. I just never have not used iron supplement to see if it would be enough with just plain flourish.

Plague

O.o
Aug 4, 2010
Miami, Fl
Didn't know that part o_O

So then I should use flourish and excel regularly with the tabs being replaced every 3 months? Sounds more economical than buying seachem iron.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh

Plague

O.o
Aug 4, 2010
Miami, Fl
Is potassium really a must? I haven't seen any signs that show that I need it. But when I do add the dwarf hairgrass I expect it to suck up a lot of nutrients once it carpets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store